1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In how many ways to answer a true-false test with 6 questions

1. Feb 28, 2004 #1
    The question is as followed:

In how many ways can a student answer a true-false test that has six questions?

I tried nCr where n = 6 and r = 2
    The result was 15, but at the back of the book it says 64!
    I am wondering where the number 64 come from.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2004 #2
    Each question is independent of each other. Each has two choices, so,

(choices for the first question)*(choices for the second question)*(choices for the third question)*(choices for the fourth question)*(choices for the fifth question)*(choices for the sixth question) = 2*2*2*2*2*2 = 2^6 = 64

I'm really not sure why you'd use 6C2.

cookiemonster

4. Feb 28, 2004 #3
    O thank you!
    I don't know, but I just don't understand the concepts.
    I think I will read more.

5. Feb 29, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Very good idea. But don' JUST read more. Before reading each example, try to solve it yourself. After you've done that, read the explanation of the example, then put the book aside and try to solve it yourself AGAIN. If you are a really good math student, the fourth or fifth time over each example, you will start to get it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?