Why do we become addicted to celebrities?

• Thread starter gva
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, many people fall in love with celebrities because they make a good impression on them and match their standards, what they think is beautiful and nice, just like "real" persons. However, if you want to inquire into the meaning of "true" love etc, then that is a philosophical question.
gva
Why don't we fall in love with an actress or actor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dunno - why don't you?
I do it all the time.

Likes edward
Many people are in love with actors and other celebrities. I know an adult person who is in love with an actress.
I guess most people were at least a little bit in love with a popular celebrity during their puberty.

O, I also do it all the time. Barbra Streisand, Olivia Hussey, Whoopi Goldberg, Liza Minnelli... :)

But I thought to be "in love" the other person has to invest time with you first. I asked my some of my friends if it is possible for a person to be in love with another outside relationship. One told me you can only be "in love" if you are inside a relationship. But others seem to have different opinions.. how do you define "in love" anyone? is it the same as love?

how do you define "in love" anyone?
What is generally understood by "love".
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/love
Love has been the subject of scientific scrutiny too:
ie. http://examinedexistence.com/why-we-fall-in-love-the-science-of-love/

But I thought to be "in love" the other person has to invest time with you first.
Wow - that's quite a discipline you have there ... no, for most people all that is needed is that they have to invest some time in the potential object of their affections. The other person need not even be aware of them.

The ability to make an emotional connection with the audience is one of the skills of a good actor... it is hardly surprising that strong emotions can develop.
This is a well known phenomenon and can be something of an occupational hazard for the actor.

However, if you want to inquire into the meaning of "true" love etc, then that is a philosophical question.

Simon Bridge said:
What is generally understood by "love".
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/love
Love has been the subject of scientific scrutiny too:
ie. http://examinedexistence.com/why-we-fall-in-love-the-science-of-love/Wow - that's quite a discipline you have there ... no, for most people all that is needed is that they have to invest some time in the potential object of their affections. The other person need not even be aware of them.

The ability to make an emotional connection with the audience is one of the skills of a good actor... it is hardly surprising that strong emotions can develop.
This is a well known phenomenon and can be something of an occupational hazard for the actor.

However, if you want to inquire into the meaning of "true" love etc, then that is a philosophical question.

No. I heard you can only be in love if there is hope of reciprocation or expectations from the partner. For an actress/actor who doesn't know you.. how could you be in love with him.. this is why I want to know the definition of "in love". It seems to mean different things to different people.

Sure you can fall in love for celebrities, actually you can also fall in love for cartoon characters

For example I really like Victoria Justice
I love her voice, her hair, her legs, her face, her eyes, her physical aspect to generalize, also the way she apparently behaves, said apparently because I don't know her in person

You have crushes for celebrities because they make a good impression on you and match your standards, what you think is beautiful and nice, just like "real" persons, you don't usually fall in love for someone that isn't sexually attractive, and that doesn't behave well ain't you?

Since defining love through a psychological way is so difficult why don't you use the chemistry? Love happens when a set of substances are produced in your brain, the causes may be psycological and complex, but if you define love as the presence of these substances in your body is way more easy to give a right definition I think

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you fall in love with some one you don't know? I can see being infatuated with a celebrity, but that's about it.

Likes billy_joule
gva said:
No. I heard you can only be in love if there is hope of reciprocation or expectations from the partner.
where did you hear this? What is your source?

For an actress/actor who doesn't know you.. how could you be in love with him.. this is why I want to know the definition of "in love". It seems to mean different things to different people.
Did you read the links in post #6? They answer those questions.

Kevin McHugh said:
How do you fall in love with some one you don't know? I can see being infatuated with a celebrity, but that's about it.
Yet many people fall in love with people they don't even know... you don't have to actually know someone, whatever that means, you need only feel you know them well enough for an emotional bond to take place.
If we accept it is impossible to love someone you do not know, then a mother cannot truly love her newborn, and there is no such thing as romantic love at first sight.
As someone who has been in love many times trust me: its easy.

Because obsessing over celebrities is an addiction. When someone who does that sees a celebrity that they like, it releases endorphins in the brain. They become addicted to it. Love is literally the same thing. I think my wife is great, and don't tell her this, but what I'm actually in love with is the oxytocin and serotonin that being around her causes.

Likes physics user1

What attracts people to actors/actresses?

People are often attracted to actors and actresses because of their talent, charisma, and physical appearance. They also have the ability to portray different characters in a convincing manner, which can be intriguing to viewers.

Is it common for actors/actresses to date their co-stars?

Yes, it is common for actors and actresses to develop romantic relationships with their co-stars. They spend a lot of time together on set and often share similar interests and passions.

Do celebrities have successful relationships?

While there are many examples of successful relationships between celebrities, it is important to remember that they are just like any other couple and face the same challenges and struggles in their relationships. The media often focuses on the negative aspects of celebrity relationships, but there are also many successful and long-lasting ones.

Why do some people become obsessed with actors/actresses?

People may become obsessed with actors and actresses because they see them as their ideal or fantasy partner. They may also admire their talent and success and want to emulate them in some way. In some cases, this obsession can become unhealthy and lead to stalking or other dangerous behaviors.

Is it possible to have a successful relationship with an actor/actress?

Yes, it is possible to have a successful relationship with an actor or actress. Like any relationship, it requires trust, communication, and understanding. It may also require dealing with the challenges of being in the public eye and managing busy schedules, but with commitment and love, a relationship with an actor or actress can be just as successful as any other.