1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In need of dire electrostatics help. Please check my work, provide insights, etc.

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    Here's a problem.
    A house fly accumulates 3.0 (10)^-10 of positive charge as it flies through the air. What is the magnitude of the electric field at a location 2.0 cm from the fly?

Here's what I think.
    I should use the equation E = kq/d^2. I am trying to find E.
    k = 9.0 (10)^9
    q = 3.0 (10)^-10 C
    d = 0.02
    So after plugging in the numbers... I arrive at the value of 6750 N/C.

However...
    I thought that q in this case was supposed to be a test charge. And the only charge I have is most definitely the source charge. Am I wrong? Does this make a difference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Seems good to me. If they ask for the vector E, you should mention its direction, if the magnitude is asked, then I think you're right.

4. Feb 8, 2010 #3
    Okay, great. Thank you! I might have someone look over another question or two... so stay tuned! Haha

5. Feb 8, 2010 #4
    Okay, nevermind. I think I actually got all the rest of them!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook