1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In Need of General Advice

1. Feb 11, 2013 #1
    This year I prepared graduate school applications, and they were all ready to be sent out. Unfortunately, my father passed away shortly before Christmas. This, as you can imagine, placed me in circumstances (for the time being) where it is longer possible to leave my job and head off to graduate school late this summer. However, my intention is to try again next year. (By “try again,” I mean to actually get a chance to send them out.) That being said, I am currently engaged in self-directed studies, and I could use a little advice on which path to take.

Path (a): I could finish up Part II of Topology by Munkres (which I already started), and I could then begin working through “Elements of Algebraic Topology” by the same author. Sometime this summer I would also begin working through Abstract Algebra by Dummit and Foote. Hence, by next summer (2014), I would have a good handle on general Topology, Algebraic Topology, and Algebra.

Part (b): Part (b) is the same as Path (a) except replace “Elements of Algebraic Topology” with a few basic Analysis textbooks.

My interest leads me down Path (a). My desire for adequate preparation suggests Path (b).

And, of course, please note that any other suggestions are more than welcome! I value any input greatly!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In self-directed studies - follow the path of your interests.

4. Feb 11, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Absolutely!! Self-study works best when you study something that interests you the most. See George Jones his signature: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4259735&postcount=21

That said, I don't think that Munkres his algebraic topology book is very good. There are better books out there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook