1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In Need of Help with a Simple Calculus Question that has me Stumped (PLEASE HELP)

1. May 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Simplify
    ln [(e^1-3ln2)/(2∏/e)]

2. Relevant equations

I was using the equation e^lnx = x to try and simplify the numerator, but I am unsure if that is correct.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am very rusty with my calculus and when it comes to using ln, I tend to get stumped with the question.
    I had simplified the numerator to -5 using e^lnx = x, but I was very unsure if this is correct; I may be making up rules of my own.
    The denominator was simplified to 2∏(e^-1)
    The entire fraction was then ln (-5/(2∏(e^-1)) and I couldn't figure out what to do next with this.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Tweedybird. Welcome to PF !

If what you have is indeed
    [itex]\displaystyle \ln \left(\frac{e^1-3\ln(2)}{2\pi/e}\right)[/itex]​
    then you are very far off.

Perhaps you meant
    [itex]\displaystyle \ln \left(\frac{e^{1-3\ln(2)}}{2\pi/e}\right)\ .[/itex]​

Well ... there's still a problem.

4. May 27, 2012 #3

The second one is exactly the question I need help with! Sorry for the confusion, but I'm not sure why there is a problem with it, it is in my textbook as a question to be simplified!

5. May 27, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Review properties of logarithms & exponents.

One property that you may find helpful is:
    [itex]\displaystyle \ln\left(\frac{A}{B}\right)=\ln(A)-\ln(B)[/itex]​

6. May 28, 2012 #5
    I figured the question out! A little review and that hint helped me out quite a bit! Like I said in my post, I am a little rusty with this subject! Thank you for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook