Thank God for "In Other Words...

• Thread starter Jammin_James
  • Start date
In summary, understanding technical content in textbooks can be overwhelming, but it becomes easier with the help of phrases like "in other words" and examples. It's important to learn how to read and interpret these texts in order to excel in math and other subjects. However, building confidence in oneself is also crucial in fully comprehending the material. With practice and perseverance, understanding technical language becomes second nature.
Jammin_James
"In other words... "

Thank god for that phrase.

Is it just me or can no one else understand something explained in a textbook in a more technical manner?

Usually my brain is on the verge of exploding until that phrase pops up or an example is presented. After that I'm like, "Oh! That's what they're saying".

I understand the need to be precise... but is the typical student supposed to understand these definitions like a first language?

Physics news on Phys.org

Example? In math at least, most definitions are expected to be understood by the reader without further explanation beyond perhaps a couple examples or a clarifying statement to make it clear why you are interested in the definition

A big part of maths education is about learning how to read texts like that.

I know where you're coming from though, especially with physics texts. I find it extremely hard to comprehend their explanations, and usually require a teacher's reiteration.

I'm also like that. I find it difficult to learn math deductively, and I always need a few examples. Also one thing that helps is to buy different textbooks to have different explanations of the same thing.

This is more an issue of confidence in the topic than the language. Certainly there is the odd text where the author has either intentionally obscured his train of thought so you are left to believe "How the hell did he do that?!" or the author is simply incapable of communicating their ideas in any other way. (See some of Weiner's mathematical papers...). But in most cases that's simply the language that is used to communicate the ideas.

It really comes down to a lack of confidence in yourself and your ability to understand the material. The more you work in the field the more that goes away. I know for a long time I never felt confident that I had gotten the whole picture until I had someone else (a professor for ex.) tell me exactly what I was thinking. Its simply that reassurance that you haven't missed somthing vital that makes the understanding set in.

In other words... the more you work at it the more understanding you develop for what the language means. Once the confidence is there, everything flows like wine... or with wine... something like that.

What is "Thank God for "In Other Words...""?

"Thank God for "In Other Words..."" is a phrase commonly used to express gratitude for finding an alternative or simpler way to say something.

Where did the phrase "In Other Words..." come from?

The origin of the phrase "In Other Words..." is unclear. It has been used in English since the 1500s and can be found in various languages and cultures. Some believe it may have originated from Latin or Greek phrases, while others argue it is simply a colloquial expression.

Is "Thank God for "In Other Words..."" only used in the English language?

No, "Thank God for "In Other Words..."" can be found in various languages and cultures. In Spanish, the phrase "En otras palabras..." is commonly used in a similar context.

Why do people use "Thank God for "In Other Words...""?

People use "Thank God for "In Other Words..."" to express relief or gratitude for finding a simpler or more concise way to express themselves. It can also be used to acknowledge someone else's words or explanation that helped clarify a concept or idea.

Can "Thank God for "In Other Words..."" be used in a professional setting?

Yes, "Thank God for "In Other Words..."" can be used in a professional setting as a way to show appreciation for someone's effort in simplifying a complex topic or concept. However, it is important to use it respectfully and in appropriate contexts.