1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In Preparation of 1st Physics Exam

1. Sep 29, 2004 #1
    Thanks for the help you have shown me so far, it has been very much appreciated. I am preparing for my first Physics I exam and would like your opinion. We are allowed a single 4 x 6 index card to take to class and use on the test. We will also be provided formulas and conversion factor data. If this were your first test, what information would you put on that card?

This course is Trig based and I am fairly confident in my ability to use it on the test. There will most likely be questions regarding Order of Magnitude calculations, Conversion of Units, Motion in One Dimension with Constant Acceleration, Vectors and Two-Dimensional Motion, and Projectile Motion. Your recommendations please.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2004 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

If you know Calculus, you won't need a support card, if you don't, you might want to put the constant acceleration equations in the card. Do you know your trig well? Cosine Law, Sine Law? Trig Identities?

4. Sep 29, 2004 #3
    To date the trig used in class has been very simple soh-cah-toa of right angle triangle solving for a leg of the triangle or for theta. I have had no trouble with these type of calculations. I'm sure we'll be getting into some higher trig calculations as we go forward.

My biggest problem has been setting up the problems in a reasonable time. Simple things like computing acceleration has somehow eluded me. If a rocket is accelerating at 30.0 m/s^2 for a period of 3.0 s what would its final velocity be if initial velocity was 100 m/s? Would it be 190 m/s or 370 m/s? I think I have been out of school too long...... :surprised

5. Sep 30, 2004 #4
    These type of questions are easily solved using the constant acceleration formulae.

[tex]v=u+at[/tex]

[tex]v^2=u^2+2as[/tex]

[tex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2

[/tex]

I'm sure there's more, but these are the main ones I can ever remember using.
    The first one will solve your question, and it will be 190m/s.

6. Sep 30, 2004 #5
    Thanks again for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?