In Preparation of 1st Physics Exam

In summary, the student is preparing for their first Physics I exam and would like the opinion of the expert. The student is confident in their ability to use trigonometry on the test, but has difficulty setting up problems quickly. The student would benefit from more practice with trigonometry.
quality101
Thanks for the help you have shown me so far, it has been very much appreciated. I am preparing for my first Physics I exam and would like your opinion. We are allowed a single 4 x 6 index card to take to class and use on the test. We will also be provided formulas and conversion factor data. If this were your first test, what information would you put on that card?

This course is Trig based and I am fairly confident in my ability to use it on the test. There will most likely be questions regarding Order of Magnitude calculations, Conversion of Units, Motion in One Dimension with Constant Acceleration, Vectors and Two-Dimensional Motion, and Projectile Motion. Your recommendations please.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know Calculus, you won't need a support card, if you don't, you might want to put the constant acceleration equations in the card. Do you know your trig well? Cosine Law, Sine Law? Trig Identities?

To date the trig used in class has been very simple soh-cah-toa of right angle triangle solving for a leg of the triangle or for theta. I have had no trouble with these type of calculations. I'm sure we'll be getting into some higher trig calculations as we go forward.

My biggest problem has been setting up the problems in a reasonable time. Simple things like computing acceleration has somehow eluded me. If a rocket is accelerating at 30.0 m/s^2 for a period of 3.0 s what would its final velocity be if initial velocity was 100 m/s? Would it be 190 m/s or 370 m/s? I think I have been out of school too long...

These type of questions are easily solved using the constant acceleration formulae.

[tex]v=u+at[/tex]

[tex]v^2=u^2+2as[/tex]

[tex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2

[/tex]

I'm sure there's more, but these are the main ones I can ever remember using.
The first one will solve your question, and it will be 190m/s.

Thanks again for the help.

1. What topics will be covered on the 1st Physics Exam?

The 1st Physics Exam will cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and optics. It will also include questions on mathematical concepts and problem-solving techniques.

2. How should I prepare for the 1st Physics Exam?

To prepare for the 1st Physics Exam, it is important to review all class notes, textbooks, and lecture materials. It is also recommended to practice solving problems and to attend review sessions or seek help from a tutor if needed.

3. Will the 1st Physics Exam have multiple-choice questions or free-response questions?

The format of the 1st Physics Exam will vary depending on the instructor's preference. It may include a mix of multiple-choice and free-response questions to assess your understanding of the material.

4. Are there any specific equations or formulas that I should focus on for the 1st Physics Exam?

While it is important to have a general understanding of all the equations and formulas covered in class, it is recommended to pay extra attention to those that are frequently used or have been emphasized by the instructor. Make sure to also understand the concepts behind the equations rather than just memorizing them.

5. Can I use a calculator on the 1st Physics Exam?

The use of a calculator may vary depending on the instructor's guidelines. Some exams may allow the use of a basic calculator, while others may restrict the use of any calculators. It is important to clarify this with your instructor before the exam to avoid any surprises.