In regards to making methane (CH4)

• Thread starter PowerBuilder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Methane
In summary, if you knew the composition of a new compound, you could make some predictions about its properties.
PowerBuilder
This is my first of hopefully not too many naft questions.

It is I suppose a pretty straight forward question. Which implies that a straight forward answer is available. I'm pretty much unsure how to ask Google my question.

In regards to methane (CH4) based on that info...and forgetting about previous knowledge about methane...what can we expect by this combination ? Is it a process of looking at what hydrogen is, at what carbon is and working out what the combination would produce ?

This question isn't directly about methane. I chose to use that compound since it's pretty straight forward. I could have easily have said H20, LiF (Lithium Fluoride) or any of the many, many compounds.

My apologies if I worded the question a bit...vague.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say problem is not that you have worded your question vague, I have a feeling you have NOT worded any question.

I can only guess what you mean - is the question "how can we predict properties of the compound, knowing its composition?"

Borek said:
I can only guess what you mean - is the question "how can we predict properties of the compound, knowing its composition?"

That sounds about spot on. Forgetting all that we know about methane (in this example), if I were to draw a lewis diagram of the compound, are there any clues to what properties of the compound would have ?

I feel there would be since we know and understand both elements (carbon & hydrogen). What I'm finding hard to come to grasp with is how it operates off paper!

There is no simple way of dealing with this problem. Some simple predictions are possible, but general approach calls for a really complicated quantum chemistry/physics, and I am not sure if we are already able to calculate/predict properties of every compound; most likely not.

It is much easier to classify known compounds into classes based on their already known properties, and then to try to generalize this knowledge to new compounds that fall into classification scheme.

I would first clarify the question by asking for more specific information on what exactly the individual is trying to achieve by combining hydrogen and carbon to produce methane. Are they interested in the chemical reaction and the resulting products, or are they looking for a practical application of this combination? It is important to have a clear objective in mind when conducting scientific research.

In terms of the chemical reaction between hydrogen and carbon to produce methane, it is a well-known process called the Sabatier reaction. This reaction occurs when carbon dioxide and hydrogen are reacted over a metal catalyst, producing methane and water. This reaction is often used in industrial processes to produce methane, which can then be used as a fuel source.

However, if the individual is asking about the properties and characteristics of methane as a compound, then it is important to consider its molecular structure and bonding. Methane is a simple molecule with four hydrogen atoms bonded to a central carbon atom in a tetrahedral shape. It is a colorless and odorless gas at room temperature and is the main component of natural gas.

In conclusion, the process of combining hydrogen and carbon to produce methane is a well-studied chemical reaction with practical applications. However, the properties and characteristics of methane as a compound go beyond its production process and require a deeper understanding of its molecular structure and bonding. It is important to have a clear question and objective in mind when conducting scientific research.

1. How is methane produced?

Methane is produced through a process called methanogenesis, which is carried out by microorganisms called methanogens. These organisms break down organic matter, such as animal waste or decaying plant material, in an oxygen-free environment to produce methane.

2. What are the main sources of methane production?

The main sources of methane production are natural gas production and agriculture. Natural gas production involves drilling and extracting methane from underground reservoirs, while agriculture involves the release of methane from livestock manure and rice cultivation.

3. How is methane used?

Methane has a variety of uses, including as a fuel for heating and cooking, as a raw material for the production of chemicals and plastics, and as a source of electricity generation. It is also used as a transportation fuel, particularly in compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles.

4. Is methane a greenhouse gas?

Yes, methane is a potent greenhouse gas that contributes to climate change. It is about 25 times more effective at trapping heat in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide over a 100-year period. Methane emissions must be carefully managed to mitigate their impact on the environment.

5. Can methane be produced sustainably?

Yes, methane can be produced sustainably through processes such as anaerobic digestion, which captures methane from organic waste and uses it as a renewable energy source. Other sustainable methods include biomethanation, where methane is produced from the fermentation of organic materials, and methane hydrate extraction from deep-sea sediments.