Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In Remembrance

1. Nov 11, 2006 #1

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In remembrance of all those who bravely gave their lives

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2006 #2
    In memory of the soldiers of Europe and her Empires, the US and other nations who died needlesly in a war that should have never been.

[​IMG]

4. Nov 11, 2006 #3
    A very somber Veterans Day here in my city as the first bronze name plaques from the Middle East conflict were added to our war memorial.

To my special vet..Semper Fi my man!

5. Nov 11, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

In one hour from now, we'll be assembling at the Legion. I'll be a flag-bearer in the Remembrance Day parade.
    Those who serve, and those who have served in the past... we salute you.

6. Nov 11, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

To those who returned, Welcome Home! :approve:

To those who didn't return, We miss you! :frown:

7. Nov 11, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's my favorite. A beautiful rememberance.

8. Nov 11, 2006 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I just held my own moment of silence at 11 AM.

Especially let's remember those whose deaths would be denied "meaning" by some historians or commentators because the wars in which they died were the result of some political theory which has been exploded. But the heroic death of a soldier can never be reduced to the purposes of a politician. Peace to you and remembrance, my brothers!

9. Nov 12, 2006 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Echo.
    When I had no prospects in my life, I actually applied to go to Viet Nam (as a fighter pilot). I was rejected because, although the US draughted their own right out of the crib, they wouldn't take a 17 year-old Canuk because our age of majority was 18. Once I realized what that entire 'war' was about, I became extremely relieved that I wasn't involved. That does not in any way detract from the (frequently involuntary) sacrifice made by those who died or were incapacitated, or who simply live with horrible memories.
    My salutation includes those.

10. Nov 12, 2006 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a Vietnam era song by Kris Kristopherson which seems completely appropriate for the current war.

"Good Christian Soldier"
    Thanks to the soldiers who have fought and died, thanks to the soldier who has fought and survied, thanks to all who have served.

11. Nov 12, 2006 #10

ek

Remembrance Day is the most important holiday of the year IMO.

To all the Canadians and others who gave their tomorrows for my todays, I thank you.

The torch will indeed be held high.

12. Nov 13, 2006 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Here is a picture of my father-in-law that just came out in a publication honoring veterans. I knew that he had served in SE Asia in WWII, but there was more that he didn't tell me about. He was in the American Liaison Personnel - the kind of job that might find you accompanying Chinese troops in pursuit of Japanese forces - similar to in-country duties of Special Forces today in Afghanistan and elsewhere. He served in India, Burma, and China.

[​IMG]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?