Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In San Diego

1. Oct 22, 2004 #1

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm out in San Diego for a conference, but until my roomies show up on Sunday, I still have unhindered access to the free internet in my hotel room. The conference starts tomorrow, but there's only one talk I'm interested in, so I think I'll play hooky the rest of the day and see some of the city, and get back just in time to chaperone the students for dinner (they don't really need a chaperone, but that's the excuse the faculty use for getting a free dinner paid for by the graduate program...students aren't the only ones who like a free meal once in a while). The stuff I'm interested in starts Sunday, so I won't be on much once that begins. I'm still looking for those sailors for my birthday. The Nimitz is in port, so maybe there are some lurking around the city still. :rofl:

Any PFers in the San Diego area?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2004 #2
    I have lived in San Diego since I was two (now 20). It is a lovely city, although it did rain for A WHOLE DAY, yesterday :frown: . What kind of things are you intrested in? I can give you the inside scoup on what to do if you want.

4. Oct 22, 2004 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shoot! If I didn't have a midterm tomorrow morning and a boatload of homework I'd drive down there. Zooby's down there somewhere. (Watch out for Weird Purple Jellyfish.) Bring me back a sailor if you find any good ones!

5. Oct 22, 2004 #4
    I'm not too far away.. but I believe Zoobyshoe lives in the area.. however I haven't seen him on lately. Perhaps he's been found by

EL CHUPRA!

6. Oct 22, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tsu and I were just down there. DARN!!!

7. Oct 23, 2004 #6

Tsu

Gold Member

Yeah!! DANG!!! Old Town is always fun to stroll (If it's still there... Wow! It's been a REALLY long time since I hung out down around there!!!)

8. Oct 23, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The margaritas in Old Town are really something ! :tongue2:

You've gotta try them...just before your talk would be a good time. :wink:

9. Oct 23, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:cry: :cry: :cry:

They found his head and one foot. There was no shoe.

[​IMG]

http://www.yakima-herald.com/?storyid=281619770695670

10. Oct 23, 2004 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

11. Oct 23, 2004 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm enjoying it here. I was here 4 years ago, but didn't get to see much (I was doing my post-doc with a cheap mentor who made us stay in a motel out in the middle of nowhere, and we had to take the bus, no rental car, so I didn't have much opportunity to see anything until a few colleagues of mine who had a rental car rescued me with an invitation to dinner in La Jolla). Basically, I have today free, except for an hour talk, and then I have dinner plans with our students. I should have asked about stuff to do before getting here, now by the time anyone gets back to me, it will be too late.

I was going to go to the zoo, but with having to get to that talk right in the middle of the day, that sort of ruined that plan. I've heard the zoo requires more than one day to see, so I don't know if a half day will be worth it.

I've decided instead to go shopping! The clothes in the mall here are so much nicer than what they have in the mid-west. I did a little window shopping while waiting for my room to be ready yesterday (I arrived only about 3 hours before check-in time...sigh). I'm dying to see if I fit into any of that stuff...that's the downside, California clothing is made for toothpicks. But maybe I'll get something a little splashy to wear to the presidential reception on Tuesday (out of 30,000 members, I have no idea how my name got on the invitation list, but I'm not passing up that reception, it has to be a good one when the president of the society is the host). Oh, and I don't have plans yet for Monday night...that's my birthday! I don't know who I'll be with, but I want to go out and PARTY! I've been invited to join some of my drug abuse colleagues that night, but I'm not sure if that's the group I really want to spend my birthday with (I don't want to be talking about addiction while drinking).

Anyway, if I don't see stuff this time, I can always do it in another 4 years when I'm back for this conference again (they have it in only about 4 cities with enough accomodations to house 30,000 neuroscientists at once, so it returns to the same cities over and over).

Gokul, I will be staying away from Margueritas. I avoid anything with tequila after a bad experience years ago. I'm very close to Little Italy, so I will have to head over there for dinner one night. Maybe tomorrow night. I have plans to meet a friend (we worked in the same lab together...the one with the cheap mentor) for drinks and dinner since we both have our presentations tomorrow (she has a slide talk...I feel sorry for her about that because the talks are always under attended at this conference, it's just the way they schedule them at the same time as the posters are being presented on the same topic, so the audience most interested in hearing it is stuck presenting their posters).

I always go home from this conference exhausted...usually more from staying up late and partying too much than from attending the scientific sessions.

12. Oct 23, 2004 #11

Janitor

Science Advisor

Moonbear, be sure to describe for us the tattoo on some part of your body that you wake up with tomorrow. :rofl:

13. Oct 24, 2004 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL! :rofl: No, no tattoos. I could never get a tattoo, my sister wouldn't let me live it down after the way I laughed so hard at her when she got one.

I feel like such a party pooper tonight. Went out to dinner with the students...only 3 faculty members joined them tonight, so at least I get to be one of the "cool" faculty now...they're all headed off for who knows what the rest of the night, and normally I'd be out partying too, but my poster is tomorrow morning and I'm not enough of a morning person on a good day, so definitely need to get my sleep tonight. I'll make up for it the rest of the meeting. But, I can't believe I'm back in the hotel so early. It's only 11 pm! Granted, it's 2 a.m. on my usual time zone, but this time zone here is much closer to what my own internal clock functions on.

I remembered why I don't like cities though...crowded sidewalks! There weren't so many people out during the day today, but tonight the sidewalks are just jam-packed with people and you can't even walk. I can't walk that slow! Drives me nuts. But I did some damage on my credit card while shopping this afternoon! Got some great new clothes. I think once every 4 years is just right to visit out here...just enough to replenish my wardrobe and then head back to the less crowded midwest. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?