1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In search of a noble quest

1. May 25, 2007 #1
    The Buddha's quest was
    To find a way to end all suffering.

and his genius allowed him to find a solution.

What would be a noble quest to embark upon in today's day and age?

I can think of dealing with complexity and finding a way to be balanced despite
    imperfections and limitedness.

but I really don't know. Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2007 #2
    Become a ferryman..
  4. May 25, 2007 #3
    Well, suffering hasn't ended yet, so you could start again there...
  5. May 25, 2007 #4
    You could copy my neighbor and go on a quest for the chocolate covered cinnamon rolls in chainmail with a sword?
  6. May 25, 2007 #5
    Why would a chocolate covered cinnamon roll wear chainmail and have a sword?

CraigD, AMInstP
  7. May 27, 2007 #6
    Sorry I left out the he went
  8. May 27, 2007 #7
    how about a quest to find out what you want to do a quest in?

well but in that case you are already done with the quest so you can start another quest to find out what your next quest will be in... and the cycle continues.
  9. May 27, 2007 #8
    To sound deep: people of noble cause do not find their cause; their cause finds them.

Basically, it's meaningless to look for a "noble cause".
  10. May 29, 2007 #9
    Become a ferryman and listen to the river. I try to listen but all the river does is laugh.. The path of the illustrious one is a hard one my friend.
    Last edited: May 29, 2007
  11. May 29, 2007 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

now that i am begining to get old, i also thought recently about what to devote my remaining time to, that would be for good.

It seemed to me that a big improvement would occur in life in the US if we could achieve some form of gun control. this will be a very difficult battle, even though most people favor it because it is opposed both by the moneyed gun dealers, and the rural people who love guns and do not think about, or do not care about, the effect they have in crowded cities.

i have not yet taken any concrete steps in this battle.
    Last edited: May 29, 2007
  12. May 29, 2007 #11
    You could find the graviton.

...or, if that doesn't work out, you could be a physics teacher.
  13. May 29, 2007 #12
    i think getting high school kids to focus and enjoy physics is tougher than getting any nobel prize :rolleyes:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?