In search of the faces behind the usernames

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, the idea is neat, but privacy will be a problem for some or for many members in any category you specified.

Should videos be made on "distinguished members" in PF?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Most of the members here in PF have avatars that are not photos of themselves. That is a kind of check on privacy, and is often supported on international forums.

However, it would also be good to see the faces behind the usernames, who have been helping the junior members in PF, and running the site smoothly over the years. We, the ones who are being helped, have a faint picture of what the person might look like, and it would be great if we were able to see the actual person.

Insight articles have been released, whereby distinguished members of PF have spoken about themselves. Let's take that one step forward and make videos on them.

The definition of "distinguished members" shall solely depend on the staff of PF, but it should include the current mentors, the staff emeritus, and, of course, the admin.

In the video, the member shall speak about himself/herself, his/her life, and how he/she has been associated with PF. For those whom insight articles already exist, they can simply re-answer the questions they were asked in the interview. The person can simply sit in front of a camera and make the video, and then upload it to YouTube.

Only members nominated by the staff shall take part.

Of course, every member has the right to privacy and can deny to participate in this process.

At the end, a specific category could be made in the media gallery, and the Videos could be uploaded there. In this way, the distinguished members shall remain memorable to everyone in PF in the years to come.

What are your opinions on this? Any better ideas?

Do you support this? Cast your vote and let everyone know!

Physics news on Phys.org
My avatar is a photo of me, but I would not wish to make a video at present. (Not that I fit the "distinguished category" of the above). The idea has its pros and cons, but one of the advantages of having some degree of anonymity, is that the content and quality of the physics is where the emphasis is.

The main problem if you're going to have a hard time find people willing to do this, much less those you nominate. Then you have technological hurdle and third, I'm not interested in hosting large video files so it wouldn't have to be say uploaded to YouTube. I support members making video clips, I may make one in the future, but it's not easy to get support for.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Charles Link
This is a science forum. Answers and help are either useful or not. It is not relevant what the person they come from looks like.

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby and Charles Link
Would putting the face behind the name make you trust this guy more?

IMG_1008.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 805
Likes OmCheeto, DennisN, DrClaude and 2 others
The idea is neat, but privacy will be a problem for some or for many members in any category you specified. We do not know who will read about us now or in the future and what kinds of judgments those readers will make. The basic problem is that of finding jobs either in or out of the sciences or technology; future decision-makers will make unfavorable judgments unfairly. Some hard-luck member who had worked in some S.T.E.M. area might be trying to find some kind of any-job, and when a potential employer sees that the member is currently looking for just that any-job, the member is easily rejected, because he is seen as someone who may try to jump out of this any-job position to return to some science or engineering position, and not sincere about taking and keeping that "any-job". Of course, the members who have stayed employed in STEM and never left and who are more optimistic would be less worried and may participate in your proposed idea to present themselves in some YouTube interview and be seen and heard.

Likes DennisN
phinds said:
Stop making fun of @Drakkith !

I see nothing but unbridled beauty. Oh wait, I was looking in a mirror. Dang I look good!

Likes DennisN, DrClaude and Charles Link
Drakkith said:
I see nothing but unbridled beauty. Oh wait, I was looking in a mirror. Dang I look good!
Hey. This is a science forum. You are not supposed to make false statements.

Likes Charles Link
phinds said:
Hey. This is a science forum. You are not supposed to make false statements.

Do I sense jealousy in your post, Phinds? It's okay. You have your own merits too. I heard you managed to make it out the door yesterday before you did your business. I'm so proud of you!

Likes phinds
Wrichik Basu said:
Most of the members here in PF have avatars that are not photos of themselves. That is a kind of check on privacy, and is often supported on international forums.

However, it would also be good to see the faces behind the usernames, who have been helping the junior members in PF, and running the site smoothly over the years. We, the ones who are being helped, have a faint picture of what the person might look like, and it would be great if we were able to see the actual person.

Insight articles have been released, whereby distinguished members of PF have spoken about themselves. Let's take that one step forward and make videos on them.

The definition of "distinguished members" shall solely depend on the staff of PF, but it should include the current mentors, the staff emeritus, and, of course, the admin.

In the video, the member shall speak about himself/herself, his/her life, and how he/she has been associated with PF. For those whom insight articles already exist, they can simply re-answer the questions they were asked in the interview. The person can simply sit in front of a camera and make the video, and then upload it to YouTube.

Only members nominated by the staff shall take part.

Of course, every member has the right to privacy and can deny to participate in this process.

At the end, a specific category could be made in the media gallery, and the Videos could be uploaded there. In this way, the distinguished members shall remain memorable to everyone in PF in the years to come.

What are your opinions on this? Any better ideas?

Do you support this? Cast your vote and let everyone know!

I wish you have another option that says “this is a silly idea”. I’d vote for that one.

Zz.

Likes Tom.G
symbolipoint said:
The idea is neat, but privacy will be a problem for some or for many members in any category you specified. We do not know who will read about us now or in the future and what kinds of judgments those readers will make. The basic problem is that of finding jobs either in or out of the sciences or technology; future decision-makers will make unfavorable judgments unfairly. Some hard-luck member who had worked in some S.T.E.M. area might be trying to find some kind of any-job, and when a potential employer sees that the member is currently looking for just that any-job, the member is easily rejected, because he is seen as someone who may try to jump out of this any-job position to return to some science or engineering position, and not sincere about taking and keeping that "any-job". Of course, the members who have stayed employed in STEM and never left and who are more optimistic would be less worried and may participate in your proposed idea to present themselves in some YouTube interview and be seen and heard.
I understand.

ZapperZ said:
Maybe those members are not “distinguished” enough.

Zz.
I never knew such a thread existed. I have been here for only one year, and that thread has been inactive for more than two years.

Had I known that such a thread already exists, I wouldn't have posted this thread and wasted anyone's time.

I knew very well how hard it would be if (in an ideal condition) all members of PF were ready to make videos, including newcomers. That's why I mentioned "distinguished", and also said that the definition rests solely on the staff.

Wrichik Basu said:
What are your opinions on this?
I could say a lot of reasons why I don't think it's a good idea, but I will just summarize my reasons with this:
In a perfect world it might be a nice idea, but regretfully the internet is not a perfect world.

Edit: I just saw @symbolipoint's post #6, which is similar to what I meant with my post. :smile: Edit 2: I think symbolipoint said it very well, "We do not know who will read about us now or in the future and what kinds of judgments those readers will make." That was pretty much what I meant with my post.

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link and symbolipoint
I like the mystery of guessing at the personalities of PF members on the basis of their nom de plume, the content of their posts and what their chosen avatar and signature look like. I think one can tell a lot from these, specifically the extent to which they take themselves seriously. In my opinion, taking yourself seriously all the time shortens the number of days you have on this Earth. I don't know if I count among the "distinguished" members and it doesn't matter to me if I do or do not. However, I know that my likeness spouting words of wisdom as a distinguished PF member implies a level of seriousness which is not me, so don't take me too seriously after reading all this. :smile:

Likes Klystron, Charles Link, StoneTemplePython and 1 other person

1. What is "In search of the faces behind the usernames"?

"In search of the faces behind the usernames" is a research study that aims to uncover the real identities of individuals behind online usernames. It examines the motivations and reasoning behind why people use usernames and how they impact communication and interactions in online environments.

2. What inspired this research study?

This research study was inspired by the growing use of online platforms and the prevalence of usernames in these spaces. As usernames become more common, there is a curiosity to understand the people behind them and how they impact our online experiences.

3. What methods are used in this study?

This study will use a combination of surveys, interviews, and data analysis to gather information about usernames and their users. Surveys will be distributed to a diverse group of individuals, interviews will be conducted with a select group of participants, and data from online platforms will be analyzed to identify patterns and trends.

4. What are the potential implications of this study?

The potential implications of this study include a better understanding of online behavior and the impact of usernames on communication and interactions. It could also shed light on issues such as cyberbullying, online anonymity, and online identity management.

5. How will the results of this study be shared?

The results of this study will be shared through academic publications, presentations at conferences, and possibly through media outlets. Additionally, the research findings may be used to inform and educate individuals and organizations about the impact of usernames in online spaces.