1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In terms of Einstein's theory of heat capacity

1. Oct 26, 2004 #1
    A) What temperature will the energy per mole of a solid achieve one third its classical value of 3RT. Express in terms of einstein temperature
    Einstein Temperature [tex] T_{e} = \frac {h \nu}{k} [/tex]

where h is plancks constant
    k = boltzmann's constant

Not really sure on how to do this?

Do i use this formula

[tex] C_{v} = \frac{3 N_{a} h^2 \nu^2}{k T^2} \frac{e^\frac{h\nu}{kT}}{(e^\frac{h\nu}{kT} - 1)^2} [/tex]

i know that the term hv / kT must be the exponent of e but i cant get it to work. but that is beside the point
    but how do i manipulate it to get what i need?

Now onto the Blackbody radiation topic
    IIfyou have the wavelength and the temperature then which function would you use for finding the Total Radiancy?

R = Sigma T^4 or the big formula 2pi h c^2 / lambda ^5 ( 1 / e^ hc / lambda k T)

Which is the the Total radiancy function?
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about integrating C_v from 0 to T and setting it equal to 3RT? Then solve the resulting equation for T.

To help with the integration use the transformation T = 1/u!
  4. Oct 27, 2004 #3

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The total radiated intensity (power per unit area) of a black body is given by the Stefan-Boltzmann law:

[tex]R = \sigma T^4[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?