In terms of Einstein's theory of heat capacity

In summary, we discussed the concept of energy per mole in a solid, and the Einstein temperature equation which relates it to Planck's constant and Boltzmann's constant. We also explored using the heat capacity formula to find the Einstein temperature and the Stefan-Boltzmann law for calculating the total radiated intensity of a black body.
stunner5000pt
A) What temperature will the energy per mole of a solid achieve one third its classical value of 3RT. Express in terms of einstein temperature
Einstein Temperature [tex] T_{e} = \frac {h \nu}{k} [/tex]

where h is Plancks constant
k = boltzmann's constant

Not really sure on how to do this?

Do i use this formula

[tex] C_{v} = \frac{3 N_{a} h^2 \nu^2}{k T^2} \frac{e^\frac{h\nu}{kT}}{(e^\frac{h\nu}{kT} - 1)^2} [/tex]

i know that the term hv / kT must be the exponent of e but i can't get it to work. but that is beside the point
but how do i manipulate it to get what i need?

Now onto the Blackbody radiation topic
IIfyou have the wavelength and the temperature then which function would you use for finding the Total Radiancy?

R = Sigma T^4 or the big formula 2pi h c^2 / lambda ^5 ( 1 / e^ hc / lambda k T)

Which is the the Total radiancy function?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about integrating C_v from 0 to T and setting it equal to 3RT? Then solve the resulting equation for T.

To help with the integration use the transformation T = 1/u!

The total radiated intensity (power per unit area) of a black body is given by the Stefan-Boltzmann law:

[tex]R = \sigma T^4[/tex].

What is Einstein's theory of heat capacity?

Einstein's theory of heat capacity is a mathematical formula that explains the relationship between the amount of energy added to a system and the resulting increase in temperature.

How does Einstein's theory of heat capacity differ from classical physics?

Einstein's theory takes into account the quantum behavior of particles, whereas classical physics assumes that energy is continuous. This results in a more accurate prediction of heat capacity at low temperatures.

What is the equation for Einstein's theory of heat capacity?

The equation is C = k * (T/θ)^3 * e^(θ/T)/((e^(θ/T) - 1)^2), where C is the heat capacity, k is a constant, T is the temperature, and θ is the characteristic temperature of the material.

What is the significance of Einstein's characteristic temperature in this theory?

The characteristic temperature, θ, represents the quantum behavior of particles and is unique to each material. It determines the relationship between temperature and energy for that material.

How has Einstein's theory of heat capacity been applied in scientific research?

Einstein's theory has been used in various fields such as thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and material science to accurately predict heat capacities at low temperatures and explain the behavior of particles in these systems.