In the Beginning: Exploring the Universe's Origin

• Thread starter RAD4921
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginning
In summary, the conversation discusses the origin of the universe and the role of zero-point energy in the creation of the universe. It is mentioned that the theory of zero-point energy cannot be a mechanism for the Big Bang as it is a property of the vacuum of space and spacetime did not exist before the event. The conversation also mentions the limitations of science in understanding what existed before the Big Bang.
RAD4921
In the beginning I have heard that the big bang came from an exploded singularity. What was this some sort of vacuum fluctuation? What are the current models of where the universe came from? Can something (the universe) be created from nothing or is it theory that energy resides in the vacuum of space? I have heard of zero-point energy. Does this type of energy reside hidden in the vacuum and does zero-point energy supposed to have played a role in the creation of the universe, as we know it?
Thanks RAD

Space news on Phys.org
There aren't many good answers to your questions, but I can elliminate one idea for you. 0-Point Energy (ZPE) cannot be a mechanism for the Big Bang. ZPE is a property of the vacuum of space; it is a property of spacetime. Since spacetime did not exist before the BB, none of its properties or mechanics can have contributed to the event.

LURCH said:
There aren't many good answers to your questions, but I can elliminate one idea for you. 0-Point Energy (ZPE) cannot be a mechanism for the Big Bang. ZPE is a property of the vacuum of space; it is a property of spacetime. Since spacetime did not exist before the BB, none of its properties or mechanics can have contributed to the event.
Thanks for your insight
RAD

Our science cannot penetrate the Planck wall - i.e., whatever may have existed before 10^-43 seconds after the big bang is pure speculation.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is the most widely accepted scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How do we know the universe is expanding?

Scientists have observed the expansion of the universe by measuring the redshift of light from distant galaxies. This redshift indicates that the galaxies are moving away from each other, providing evidence for the expansion of the universe.

3. What happened before the Big Bang?

It is currently unknown what happened before the Big Bang. The laws of physics as we know them break down at the singularity, making it impossible to determine what occurred before the universe began.

4. How old is the universe?

The current estimated age of the universe is about 13.8 billion years old. This age is determined by measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the Big Bang.

5. Are there other theories about the origin of the universe?

Yes, there are several alternative theories about the origin of the universe, such as the Steady State Theory and the Oscillating Universe Theory. However, the Big Bang Theory is the most widely accepted and supported by scientific evidence.