Is Belief Necessary for Scientific Discovery?

In summary, the conversation explores the idea of a center of absolute nothing at the center of all mass or intensities and discusses the difficulty of proving "nothing" in theory or by evidence. It also raises the question of whether a theory of gravity can ever be fully achieved with current methods. The group discusses the two existing theories of gravity and their limitations, with one member mentioning that while they may not be completely accurate, there is currently no better alternative.
scott_sieger
Hi guys,

I am exploring the notion that at the centre of all mass or intensities is a centre of absolute nothing. I won't go into why I am exploring this but the question that is of interests is :

How can "nothing " be proved either in theory or by evidence except by default?

And If "nothing" can not be proven then I believe a theory of gravity will never be achieved using current methods.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by scott_sieger
And If "nothing" can not be proven then I believe a theory of gravity will never be achieved using current methods.
There are TWO theories of gravity which together explain quite adequately how gravity works. I recommend learning them.

Sure they work, but are they right?

Originally posted by Jonathan
Sure they work, but are they right?
They are right within the limits of their respective scopes.

Originally posted by russ_watters
More precisely, they are most close to the real model of gravity, but of course they are not right theories (just a sets of rules, which whether well or bad work). However, today we have nothing better than they are.

Last edited:
quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by russ_watters
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes they right within the scope of observation mixed with some
believes.

Originally posted by clicky
Yes they right within the scope of observation mixed with some
believes.
Beliefs? Beliefs have nothing to do with them. Observation is how we know they are right and how we know the scope of their utility.

1. What is the centre of mass?

The centre of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed. It is the point where the object will balance perfectly, even if it is an irregular shape.

2. How is the centre of mass calculated?

The centre of mass is calculated by finding the sum of the masses multiplied by their respective distances from a reference point, and then dividing by the total mass of the object or system. The reference point can be chosen arbitrarily.

3. Why is the centre of mass important?

The centre of mass is important because it helps us understand the overall motion and stability of an object. It can also be used to determine how an object will respond to external forces and how it will move or rotate.

4. What factors affect the centre of mass?

The centre of mass is affected by the distribution of mass within an object or system. For example, if more mass is concentrated towards one side, the centre of mass will be shifted in that direction. Additionally, external forces such as gravity can also affect the centre of mass.

5. How does the centre of mass relate to rotational motion?

The centre of mass plays a crucial role in rotational motion. If a force is applied to an object at its centre of mass, it will only experience translational motion. However, if the force is applied outside of the centre of mass, it will also experience rotational motion. The location of the centre of mass also determines the axis of rotation for an object.