1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In the classical view of the electron, would the electron fall into the nucleus?

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    In the classical view of the electron, would the electron "fall" into the nucleus?

I'm not asking why the electron doesn't fall into the nucleus. I know this is explained by quantum mechanics.

But in class the other day, my professor said that treating the electron as a classical particle would lead to it crashing into the nucleus. This didn't really make sense to me. An electron experiences a coulombic force from the nucleus, much like a planet experiences a gravitational force from a star. With a classical view of the electron, wouldn't the electrons just adopt an elliptical orbit like a planet on a much smaller scale, or is there some other distinction between a planet and an electron where the electron would act differently and "fall" into the nucleus?

I know the classical view is wrong, I just didn't know if this reasoning really applied.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: In the classical view of the electron, would the electron "fall" into the nucleus

A classical electron would radiate and lose energy.

4. Mar 7, 2012 #3
    Re: In the classical view of the electron, would the electron "fall" into the nucleus

Gotcha, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook