Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In the Electric field of a Continuous Charge Distribution, what is conti exactly?

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1
    In the Electric field of a Continuous Charge Distribution, what is "conti.." exactly?

-I know its the "distribution"! but I`m asking about, like, how would the "distribution" be continuous?
    -I think the word "symmetry" should be used?
    -why is the word "continuous" used?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: In the Electric field of a Continuous Charge Distribution, what is "conti.." exac

In a continuous charge distribution, the charge "fills up" a region or volume of space.

Contrast that with a discrete charge distribution, where the charge might be localized at one single point, or on a collection of point particles.

4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    Re: In the Electric field of a Continuous Charge Distribution, what is "conti.." exac

If you have say a current of 10^9 electrons per second (160 picoamps) flowing in a circuit, this is usually consideded to be a continuous current although the signal is comprised of discrete particles. However, if you have a bandwidth of 1 GHz (1 nanosec), there are only about 160 discrete electrons contributing to your signal. There is a Gaussian distribution of electrons in each sample period, leading to a signal fluctuation +/- sqrt(160), called shot or Schottky noise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook