• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

In the end of a life's work

• Physics
  • Thread starter MagnusChases
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am concerned about devoting my soul into science(Physics, Math, and Chemistry particularly). I imagine the supposed efforts that I will put in my future works will not be seen by humanity as the way I would like(as an example in history, many scientists who dedicated their lives ended not having what they deserved). By going into science, I will not make as much money as another nonsense profession.

For you, is it worth? Fighting demons, sacrificing your soul to push the boundaries of human's knowledge and not being valuable by humans is worth it?
But it not all about money nor is all following a passion. Because this I ask for your help, thanks

Regards,Magnus.

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
It sounds like you want to go into science for fame, possibly fortune and maybe even drama. So, no, I don't think this is the right choice for you.

Likes trurle, TMFKAN64, Dale and 2 others
I once knew somebody who said: "Even if Michelangelo had been born without arms, he would have still become a great sculptor!"

So if you have to ask, then you're probably not of this kind. It is totally natural to dream of such goals, but very naive to expect them.

Likes MagnusChases
Fighting demons, sacrificing your soul
Umm, that doesn’t sound like science to me. It sounds like a start of a low-quality movie plot

Likes Klystron, phinds and Bystander
I am concerned about devoting my soul into science(Physics, Math, and Chemistry particularly). I imagine the supposed efforts that I will put in my future works will not be seen by humanity as the way I would like(as an example in history, many scientists who dedicated their lives ended not having what they deserved). By going into science, I will not make as much money as another nonsense profession.

For you, is it worth? Fighting demons, sacrificing your soul to push the boundaries of human's knowledge and not being valuable by humans is worth it?
But it not all about money nor is all following a passion. Because this I ask for your help, thanks

Regards,Magnus.
What kind of problems in science would you enjoy working to solve? That's the most important question to have answers to. If your goal is to be revered because scientists command respect in our modern intellectual bubble and you can't answer that question, you should direct your energy somewhere else. Scientists just want to find answers to interesting questions that nobody has figured out yet. They can't escape their curiosity. While good stories tend to involve a human sacrifice or two, this one isn't really it. The sacrifice in this case would be pursuing an unrelated field and not finding answers to questions you can't stop asking. Merry xmas!

Likes symbolipoint and MagnusChases
Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I like Physics. I've made a good living at it and had lots of good times.

But the greater meaning in life for me is in other things - my Christian faith, my wife, my children, my church, and my friends.

I probably could have been just as happy being a farmer or a fisherman if I had to. I mean, for most of human history Physics did not really exist.

Likes gleem, Dale and MagnusChases
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Likes gleem, MagnusChases and fresh_42