Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In the footsteps of Young

1. Jan 5, 2008 #1
    The young's double slut experiment is pretty awesome i guess.. i never had thought that light + light could ever equal dark.. so I wanna try and do the double slit experiment myself.

For the slits and the curtain.. i'm thinking of using Aluminum foil into which i can cut fine slits with a razor blade. I have around 6-7 meters [lengthwise] free space available. Which makes my D = 7.00 m. If i keep the slits like.. 3 mm across [i doubt if i can get it even that fine].. I get the fringe width as [itex]2333.33\lambda[/itex]. So, what wavelength of light should I use? Also, how can i get such a light source?

The problem is that the wavelength i'm getting so that i can see the fringes clearly is to the order of tens of micrometer.. what i need is something in the order of hundreds of nanometer [i guess].. so.. basically.. i'm missing out on a [or two] factor of ten.

any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might find this PF thread useful, as well as this webpage.

If you are lazy, you could just contact a nearby university (or maybe even a secondary school) and ask them if you can come by some time and do the experiment... big chance they have the experiment ready-to-go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?