Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I In which field can relativity theory be classified?

Tags:
  1. Mar 11, 2016 #1
    I want to know in which context should i take relativity with both general and special .

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2016 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question, and I suspect nobody else will, either. Can you explain it further?

4. Mar 11, 2016 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I certainly don't.

5. Mar 11, 2016 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "context"?

6. Mar 12, 2016 #5
    Is it classified in Quantum Mechanics or Classical Mechanics ?

7. Mar 12, 2016 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why does this matter so much?

BTW, it is not Quantum Mechanics.

Zz.

8. Mar 12, 2016 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Relativity is its own field. It is neither classical mechanics nor quantum mechanics.

9. Mar 12, 2016 #8
    Why relativity is an independant field ?

10. Mar 12, 2016 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Because it is neither classical mechanics nor quantum mechanics...

11. Mar 12, 2016 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hm. This post seems to have been edited such that it appears to be a response to mfg, which is was not. I'm going to delete the content to avoid confusion.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  12. Mar 12, 2016 #11
    i think you wish to know whether 'quantum' ideas can be incorporated in relativity whether its STR or GTR- i think till the quantization of 'graviton'
    or discovery of a particle which can mediate /connect the action of 'gravity field' or say 'quantization of gravitation' does not come up -it can not be said to be a part of quantum physics.
    so its a classical theory encompassing the four dimensional space-time.-where time has been given a special status of coordinates and forces are derived from the curvature of space-time fabric.

13. Mar 12, 2016 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

but you need to be clear that you are not telling him that it is classical mechanics.

14. Mar 12, 2016 #13

PeterDonis

2016 Award

How are you defining "Classical Mechanics"? Some people define it as "everything that isn't Quantum Mechanics", in which case SR and GR would both be "Classical". But that's not a very informative definition.

The more common definition, which is the one the other posters are using, defines "Classical Mechanics" to mean Newtonian mechanics: Newton's three laws of motion and his law of gravity. SR and GR are not "Classical Mechanics" by this definition; they are "Relativistic Mechanics", which is a separate field of its own.

15. Mar 12, 2016 #14
    well sorry -i should have said that
    its a classical theory but not 'classical mechanics' as its a development based on space-time description of events so its treated outside mechanics- but relativistic dynamics is 'classical'..

16. Mar 12, 2016 #15
    Thank you very much !

17. Mar 16, 2016 #16

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

This I don't understand either. Relativity is an unfortunate name for "space-time model". So it's comprehensive for all of physics, classical and quantum. The special theory is an approximation to the general in neglecting gravity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted