1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incandescent light

1. Dec 19, 2004 #1
    hi ppl,
    I was wondering. In a double slit experiment, we fire light rays through two slits using two incandescent lamps. Would the interference phenomenon be observed? I thought no, is it to do with the wavelength of incandescent light being outside the spectrum? Could someone help with this problem, thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2004 #2

$id

It would hard to get an interference pattern because the direction of the field would be changing constantly. The relative phase must be same hence it only works with 1 lamp.

As far as I know its nothing to do with the wavelength, just the fact that the field is not polarised.

4. Dec 19, 2004 #3

Diane_

Homework Helper

Well, there's also the fact that light from an incandescent lamp is not monochromatic. You might get interference patterns from various different frequencies, but I expect they'd overlap to such an extent that they'd be invisible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?