Find Incentre of 3D Triangle: Urgent Homework Help

In summary: X is the orthocenter, as you suggested.2) I assumed l,m,n as the coordinates of Xand continued as u told:But I have 6 unknowns and 2 equations.Here is what I got on solving:q2a2+2q(l(x2-x3)+m(y2-y3)+n(z2-z3))=r2a2+2r(l(x2-x3)+m(y2-y3)+n(z2-z3))=p2c2+2p(l(x1-x2)+m(y1-y2
ritwik06

Homework Statement

The coordinates of a the vertices of a triangle are given:
A(x1,y1,z1)
B(x2,y2,z2)
C(x3,y3,z3)
and the sides opposite each vertex are a,b,c respectively. Find the coordinates of the incentre.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been frequently using the formula
X=(ax1+bx2+cx3)/(a+b+c)
Y=(ay1+by2+cy3)/(a+b+c)
Z=(az1+bz2+cz3)/(a+b+c)
for the incenter. But I simply cannot prove the result.

I calculated the in radius= Area/semi-perimeter (a lengthy process) and then tried to prove it by just taking x,y coordinates. But I failed.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9529/triangle.jpg

I also know the ratio in which the sides are divided by angle bisectors. For example side a is divied in the ratio s-b:s-c

Somebody please give me the proof for this! I tried mathworld
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Incenter.html
but with no results on proof!

Actually I am a bit worried because of my exam which is day after tomorrow. Its not that I have not prepared anything. The only thing is that I get nervous whenever whenever I get stuck on a question b4 exams. Therefore I seeking the proof at present. I promise you that I will work it out myself as soon as my exams are over.

I shall be really glad if someboy finds me a link to this proof(using 3D coordinates). Or just gives me a guidelines on how to prove it. The problem with me is that I cannot sit on the internet for very long so please help me as soon as possible. I hope this is not against the rules of the forum.
regards,
Ritwik

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck!

ritwik06 said:
The coordinates of a the vertices of a triangle are given:
A(x1,y1,z1)
B(x2,y2,z2)
C(x3,y3,z3)
and the sides opposite each vertex are a,b,c respectively. Find the coordinates of the incentre.

… my exam which is day after tomorrow …

Hi Ritwik! Thanks for the PM. :smile:

Here's two ways of doing it:

i] if the tangent points are d e and f, then (a - d).(b - c) = (b - e).(c - a), so find the intersection

ii] if the tangent points are at a + p(b - a) etc, and the incentre is at x, then (x - a - p(b - a))2 = (x - b - q(c - b))2 = (x - c - r(c - b))2 :wink:

(and there's probably some other really neat ways, including one involving areas, as you suggested)

:smile: Good luck with your exam! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Ritwik! Thanks for the PM. :smile:

Here's two ways of doing it:

i] if the tangent points are d e and f, then (a - d).(b - c) = (b - e).(c - a), so find the intersection

ii] if the tangent points are at a + p(b - a) etc, and the incentre is at x, then (x - a - p(b - a))2 = (x - b - q(c - b))2 = (x - c - r(c - b))2 :wink:

(and there's probably some other really neat ways, including one involving areas, as you suggested)

:smile: Good luck with your exam! :smile:

Hi,
First of all, I wish to say that I have no words to thank you. I am really indebted to you. Thank you very very much for the help.

1)a,b,c,d,e,f are position vectors, right?
D is opposite A, E opp B and F opp C.

But I don't see through why (a - d).(b - c) = (b - e).(c - a)
this holds?
Will line AD pass through incentre? Similarly, will BE?
Please elaborate! I haven't got a clue. I would be highly obliged if you could spare some of ur time to get a rough paint picture if you could manage, please.

2) I assumed l,m,n as the coordinates of X
and continued as u told:

But I have 6 unknowns and 2 equations.
Here is what I got on solving:
q2a2+2q(l(x2-x3)+m(y2-y3)+n(z2-z3))=r2a2+2r(l(x2-x3)+m(y2-y3)+n(z2-z3))=p2c2+2p(l(x1-x2)+m(y1-y2)+n(z1-z2))

l,m,n are unknown. p,q,r are also unknown. And there are only 2 equations. What to do now?

Thanks once again

regards,
Ritwik

Last edited:
Hi Ritwik! :smile:
ritwik06 said:
1)a,b,c,d,e,f are position vectors, right?
D is opposite A, E opp B and F opp C.

But I don't see through why (a - d).(b - c) = (b - e).(c - a)
this holds?

ooh, sorry …1) isn't the incentre at all (maybe it's the orthocentre?) …

i was in a hurry to get out this morning, and i didn't draw a diagram :redface:

Actually, looking at your formula, I now see there's an easy way to check it.

Your formula has the incentre at X, where (using a b c as the lengths, and A B C as the vectors, so (A - B)2 = c2 etc):

(a+b+c)X = aA + bB + cC,

so (a+b+c)(X - A).(A - B) = b(A - B)2 + c(A - B)(A - C),

so (a+b+c)(X - A).(A - B)/c = bc + (A - B)(A - C),

= (a+b+c)(X - A).(A - C)/b,

so X - A bisects the angle between A - B and A - C :smile:

1. What is the definition of the incentre of a 3D triangle?

The incentre of a 3D triangle is the point at which the bisectors of all three angles of the triangle intersect. It is the centre of the largest sphere that can fit inside the triangle.

2. How is the incentre of a 3D triangle calculated?

The coordinates of the incentre can be calculated by finding the intersection point of the three angle bisectors. This can be done using geometry or by solving a system of equations.

3. Why is finding the incentre of a 3D triangle important?

The incentre is important because it is the centre of the inscribed circle in the triangle, which has many applications in geometry and engineering. It also helps to determine properties of the triangle, such as its inradius and its relationship to the circumcentre.

4. What are the steps to find the incentre of a 3D triangle?

The steps to find the incentre of a 3D triangle include finding the coordinates of the three vertices, calculating the length of each side of the triangle, finding the angle bisectors using trigonometry, and solving for the intersection point of the bisectors.

5. Are there any shortcuts or formulas to find the incentre of a 3D triangle?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the coordinates of the incentre of a 3D triangle using the coordinates of the vertices. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and steps involved in finding the incentre in order to use the formula correctly.