1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incentre of A Triangle (3D)-Quite Urgent

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The coordinates of a the vertices of a triangle are given:
    A(x1,y1,z1)
    B(x2,y2,z2)
    C(x3,y3,z3)
    and the sides opposite each vertex are a,b,c respectively. Find the coordinates of the incentre.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have been frequently using the formula
    X=(ax1+bx2+cx3)/(a+b+c)
    Y=(ay1+by2+cy3)/(a+b+c)
    Z=(az1+bz2+cz3)/(a+b+c)
    for the incenter. But I simply cannot prove the result.

I calculated the in radius= Area/semi-perimeter (a lengthy process) and then tried to prove it by just taking x,y coordinates. But I failed.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9529/triangle.jpg [Broken]

I also know the ratio in which the sides are divided by angle bisectors. For example side a is divied in the ratio s-b:s-c

Somebody please give me the proof for this!! I tried mathworld
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Incenter.html
    but with no results on proof!

Actually I am a bit worried because of my exam which is day after tomorrow. Its not that I have not prepared anything. The only thing is that I get nervous whenever whenever I get stuck on a question b4 exams. Therefore I seeking the proof at present. I promise you that I will work it out myself as soon as my exams are over.

I shall be really glad if someboy finds me a link to this proof(using 3D coordinates). Or just gives me a guidelines on how to prove it. The problem with me is that I cannot sit on the internet for very long so please help me as soon as possible. I hope this is not against the rules of the forum.
    regards,
    Ritwik

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good luck!

Hi Ritwik! Thanks for the PM. :smile:

Here's two ways of doing it:

i] if the tangent points are d e and f, then (a - d).(b - c) = (b - e).(c - a), so find the intersection

ii] if the tangent points are at a + p(b - a) etc, and the incentre is at x, then (x - a - p(b - a))2 = (x - b - q(c - b))2 = (x - c - r(c - b))2 :wink:

(and there's probably some other really neat ways, including one involving areas, as you suggested)

:smile: Good luck with your exam! :smile:

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3
    Re: Good luck!

Hi,
    First of all, I wish to say that I have no words to thank you. I am really indebted to you. Thank you very very much for the help.

1)a,b,c,d,e,f are position vectors, right?
    D is opposite A, E opp B and F opp C.

But I dont see through why (a - d).(b - c) = (b - e).(c - a)
    this holds?
    Will line AD pass through incentre??? Similarly, will BE?
    Please elaborate! I havent got a clue. I would be highly obliged if you could spare some of ur time to get a rough paint picture if you could manage, please.

2) I assumed l,m,n as the coordinates of X
    and continued as u told:

But I have 6 unknowns and 2 equations.
    Here is what I got on solving:
    q2a2+2q(l(x2-x3)+m(y2-y3)+n(z2-z3))=r2a2+2r(l(x2-x3)+m(y2-y3)+n(z2-z3))=p2c2+2p(l(x1-x2)+m(y1-y2)+n(z1-z2))

l,m,n are unknown. p,q,r are also unknown. And there are only 2 equations. What to do now?

Thanks once again

regards,
    Ritwik

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  5. Mar 2, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Ritwik! :smile:
    ooh, sorry …1) isn't the incentre at all (maybe it's the orthocentre?) …

i was in a hurry to get out this morning, and i didn't draw a diagram :redface:

Actually, looking at your formula, I now see there's an easy way to check it.

Your formula has the incentre at X, where (using a b c as the lengths, and A B C as the vectors, so (A - B)2 = c2 etc):

(a+b+c)X = aA + bB + cC,

so (a+b+c)(X - A).(A - B) = b(A - B)2 + c(A - B)(A - C),

so (a+b+c)(X - A).(A - B)/c = bc + (A - B)(A - C),

= (a+b+c)(X - A).(A - C)/b,

so X - A bisects the angle between A - B and A - C :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook