How Do You Calculate the Angle of an Emerging Light Beam in Refractive Layers?

• Thread starter premed_love
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refraction
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a beam of light passing through different layers with varying indices of refraction. Part 1 asks for the angle of the emerging beam when the incident angle is 29.1 degrees. Part 2 asks for the incident angle needed for total internal reflection at the surface between two of the layers. The student attempts to use Snell's law but is unsure of the correct equation.
premed_love

Homework Statement

I am preparing for a test. I really need help with this is problem. I uploaded a picture for the figure.
The figure below shows the path of a beam of light through several layers (n1 = 1.58, n2 = 1.39, n3 = 1.21 and n4 = 1.00) of different indices of refraction.

PART1 ASKS:
If
mimetex.gif
= 29.1o, what is the angle,
mimetex.gif
, of the emerging beam?

PART 2:
What must the incident angle,
mimetex.gif
, be in order to have total internal reflection at the surface between the n3 = 1.21 medium and the n4 = 1.00 medium?

Homework Equations

We have to use Snell's Law: which is n1sin=n2sin

The Attempt at a Solution

FOR PART 1: This is what I did:
I know N for 1 and 2. The angle is 29.1 as given. So...
[/B]
mimetex.gif
sin^-1=(n1/n2*sin) sin^-1=(1.58/1.39*sin29.1). I get .662 which is off.

For Part 2: I am clueless.

Please guide me.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
premed_love said:
mimetex.gif
sin^-1=(n1/n2*sin) sin^-1=(1.58/1.39*sin29.1). I get .662 which is off.
Your equation makes no sense to me. Try again? Start with Snell's law again, carefully.

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the phenomenon of light bending as it passes through different mediums. This bending is caused by the change in speed of light when it moves from one medium to another.

2. How does refraction occur?

Refraction occurs when light passes through a medium with a different optical density, causing the light to change direction. This change in direction is caused by the change in speed of light when it moves from one medium to another.

3. What is the law of refraction?

The law of refraction, also known as Snell's law, states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speed of light in the first medium to the speed of light in the second medium.

4. What factors affect refraction?

The main factors that affect refraction are the change in speed of light when it moves from one medium to another and the angle at which the light enters the medium. The density, thickness, and temperature of the medium can also have an impact on refraction.

5. What are some applications of refraction in everyday life?

Some common applications of refraction include lenses in eyeglasses, cameras, and telescopes, as well as the bending of light in a prism, which creates a rainbow. Refraction is also used in the production of optical fibers for communication and in the design of corrective eye surgeries.