Calculating Min Incident Angle for Ray Emerging from Prism

In summary, to find the minimum incident angle for a ray to emerge from the opposite side of a prism with an apex angle of 74.3° and a refractive index of 1.55, the equations (1) and (2) can be used. The first equation, (1), relates the incident angle (α) and the minimum angle of deviation (δ) to the refractive index (n), while the second equation, (2), relates the incident angle (α) and the apex angle (α) to the minimum angle of deviation (δ). By solving for δ and then using the second equation to solve for the incident angle (α), the result is an incident angle of 28.3°.
NikkiNik

Homework Statement

If the apex angle of a prism is f = 74.3° (see figure below),

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/NikkiNik88/apex.gif

what is the minimum incident angle for a ray if it is to emerge from the opposite side (i.e., not be totally internally reflected), given n = 1.55?

Homework Equations

sin(alpha + delta)/2 =nsin(alpha/2)

delta = incindence angle + alpha/2

The Attempt at a Solution

delta = min angle of deviation
alpha = apex angle

I solved for delta and got 65.4 deg

Then I used the second equation to solve for the incident angle and got 28.3 deg

I'm not even sure if I should go so far as to solve for delta. I'm thinking there is a simpler way

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi NikkiNik! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and a delta: δ and a phi: φ :wink:)
NikkiNik said:
sin(alpha + delta)/2 =nsin(alpha/2)

delta = incindence angle + alpha/2

Sorry, I've no idea what you're doing. :redface:

Where does "/2" come from?

And what are your first incident angle, refracted angle, and second incident angle? :confused:

I found in the equations in my book

(1) (sin(α + δ))/2 = n*sin(α/2)

All I'm given is the apex angle and n and I'm not sure where to go from there. Since I'm not supposed to find the critical angle I'm not sure how to go about finding the incident angle.

1. What is the formula for calculating the minimum incident angle for a ray emerging from a prism?

The formula for calculating the minimum incident angle is given by: sin(θmin) = nprism / nmedium, where θmin is the minimum incident angle, nprism is the refractive index of the prism, and nmedium is the refractive index of the medium the ray is passing through.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect the minimum incident angle for a ray emerging from a prism?

The angle of incidence does not have a direct effect on the minimum incident angle. The minimum incident angle is solely determined by the refractive indices of the prism and the medium. However, the angle of incidence does affect the angle at which the ray will emerge from the prism.

3. Can the minimum incident angle be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the minimum incident angle cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because the angle of incidence is always measured from the normal line, which is perpendicular to the surface of the prism. Therefore, the maximum possible angle of incidence is 90 degrees.

4. How does the refractive index of the prism affect the minimum incident angle?

The refractive index of the prism has a direct effect on the minimum incident angle. As the refractive index of the prism increases, the minimum incident angle also increases. This means that the ray will have to enter the prism at a steeper angle in order to emerge from the prism.

5. Can the minimum incident angle change for a ray passing through the same prism but in different mediums?

Yes, the minimum incident angle can change depending on the medium the ray is passing through. This is because the refractive index of the medium affects the minimum incident angle. As the refractive index of the medium changes, the minimum incident angle will also change accordingly.