1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclination of a Table

1. Sep 27, 2007 #1
    Inclination of a Table-PLEASE HELP

A physics student playing with an air hockey table (a frictionless surface) finds that if she gives the puck a velocity of 3.80 m/s along the length ( 1.67 m ) of the table at one end, by the time it has reached the other end the puck has drifted a distance 2.44 cm to the right but still has a velocity component along the length of 3.80m/s . She concludes correctly that the table is not level and correctly calculates its inclination from the above information.

I converted the 2.44 cm to meters, which would then be .0244 m. And then I'm not sure what do after that. I attempted to find the angle with the 1.67 m being the hypotonese and the .0244 to be the adjacent. This however gave the answer to be 1 degrees. Which is incorrect. I dont really know where to begin?

g is given as 9.8 m/s^2
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Draw a freebody diagram of the puck... what are the forces acting on it? What is the force acting along the direction of displacement?

First how long does it take the puck to make the trip...

Suppose the table was inclined at an angle theta. How much would it drift in terms of theta. What is the force that is making it drift?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?