What is the speed of the block sliding down an inclined plane?

In summary: Well, i used the cosθ because the only equation we are using in the energy/momentum unit for work is W = F*cosθ*d.The equation I used was:PE = KE + WTherefore,KE = PE - W But you're work has to be negative because it is in the opposite direction of your potential energy, so:.5mv^{2} = mgh - [(µ*mg*cosθ)*cosθ*d]Plug in your values, and you get about 3.4 m/s.The answer is supposed to be 3.5 m/s, but then again, I guess its
I Like Pi

Homework Statement

A 2.5 kg wooden block slides from rest down an inclined plane that makes an angle of 30o with the horizontal. If the plane has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.20, what is the speed of the block after slipping a distance of 2.0 m?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve this using dynamics and kinematics equations, but I'm doing a unit of energy and momentum, is it possible to solve this using momentum and/or energy equations?

thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi I Like Pi! :smile:
I Like Pi said:
I know how to solve this using dynamics and kinematics equations, but I'm doing a unit of energy and momentum, is it possible to solve this using momentum and/or energy equations?

Yup! :biggrin:

Use the work-energy theorem … https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=75" = change in mechanical energy. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

(have a mu: µ and a theta: θ and a degree: ° :wink:)

(just got up :zzz: …)
I Like Pi said:
Hey, thanks! So would I use Ek = Ep - Wf, Wf being (muN)dcosx?

Yes …

except why cosx? … the friction is parallel to the slope, not horizontal :wink:

(and don't call it Wf, it's simply W;

also we usually write KE and PE …

then we can write eg KEi, which is a lot easier to read than Eki ! :biggrin:)​

tiny-tim said:

(have a mu: µ and a theta: θ and a degree: ° :wink:)

(just got up :zzz: …)

Yes …

except why cosx? … the friction is parallel to the slope, not horizontal :wink:

(and don't call it Wf, it's simply W;

also we usually write KE and PE …

then we can write eg KEi, which is a lot easier to read than Eki ! :biggrin:)​

Haha, thanks :smile:

Well, i used the cosθ because the only equation we are using in the energy/momentum unit for work is [tex]W = F*cosθ*d[/tex]

The equation I used was:
[tex]PE = KE + W[/tex]
Therefore,
[tex]KE = PE - W[/tex] But you're work has to be negative because it is in the opposite direction of your potential energy, so:
[tex].5mv^{2} = mgh - [(µ*mg*cosθ)*cosθ*d][/tex]
Plug in your values, and you get about 3.4 m/s.

The answer is supposed to be 3.5 m/s, but then again, I guess its the same thing, or you could just include the neg because you know it's supposed to be neg (opposite direction)

Thanks for your help tim!

(you can't write µ and θ in LaTeX … you have to write \mu and /theta :wink:)

Looks ok :smile:, except I still don't see why you have two cosθs. :confused:

(the θ in your F*cos θ*d formula is the angle between the friction F and d, but that's zero)

What is the Incline Energy problem?

The Incline Energy problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the potential and kinetic energy of an object on an inclined plane.

How do you calculate the potential energy in an Incline Energy problem?

The potential energy in an Incline Energy problem can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the inclined plane.

How do you calculate the kinetic energy in an Incline Energy problem?

The kinetic energy in an Incline Energy problem can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity of the object.

What is the relationship between potential and kinetic energy in an Incline Energy problem?

In an Incline Energy problem, as the potential energy decreases, the kinetic energy increases and vice versa, due to the conservation of energy principle.

How can the Incline Energy problem be applied in real life?

The Incline Energy problem has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, sports, and transportation. For example, it can be used to design roller coasters, calculate the energy needed for a car to climb a hill, or determine the potential and kinetic energy of a skier going down a slope.