1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incline force

1. Sep 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The face of block M in the figure below is shaped like a semicircular bowl of radius R. A mass m is placed at the top-left corner of the bowl and then let go. Find the acceleration of block M relative to the surface it is sitting on when m is a distance of 0.8R from the bottom of the bowl. There is no friction between M and m, or between M and the surface on which it sits. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g. Indicate the direction with the sign of your answer. Assume the +x-axis is to the right.)

http://puu.sh/bMIJx/03bb46a1d0.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

f=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    All i got so far, cannot figure out a way to solve for acceleration. I guess i am missing some equations but i just can't figure it out.
    http://puu.sh/bMIMh/216e860f3a.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2014 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

What's the a in your equations? You have a ##ma\text{sin}(\theta)## term that I'm not seeing. So you have a block and a ball or whatever you wanna call it, and there's the earth. How many forces are being exerted on little m? I see 3 in you're equation, but that equation for some reason doesn't look all that useful.

I personally don't see any reason to use centripetal equations of motion for this. What are the forces exerted on big M in the x direction and what are the forces on M in the y direction? (also, the problem statement says take +x -> which implies an acceleration in Cartesian)

4. Sep 25, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The block is moving, better to use conservation laws - conservation of momentum and conservation of energy.

ehild

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Sep 25, 2014 #4
    the masin(θ) is the pseudo force of small block with respect to the big M.
    Also, i don't think conservation of energy and momentum is viable in this case, since the question stated "Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g." i don't think i can just use Velocity out of nowhere.

6. Sep 25, 2014 #5

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

The magnitude is not normal, but the direction of the force on small m is most definitely normal. Sum the forces on big M, then there will be 1 force you need to look at the forces on little m.

7. Sep 25, 2014 #6

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I should clarify not the net force.

8. Sep 25, 2014 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The acceleration of M is related to the acceleration of the small mass sliding down on it, how?

ehild

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted