Incline, friction, and energy

In summary: Not the magnitude. Think, if you did that, you'd be calculating the work done by the sum of all forces, which is not the case. The work done by friction is just... That: -183.4 J.
iJamJL

Homework Statement

An incline makes an angle of 29.9° with the horizontal. A 8.87 kg block is given a push up this incline and released. It starts at the bottom with initial speed 6.43 m/s, travels up the incline, stops, and slides back to the bottom at final speed 4.49 m/s. Using energy considerations, find:

a) the energy used to overcome friction traveling up and down the incline.
b) the distance the block traveled up along the incline before coming momentarily to rest.
c) The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline.

Homework Equations

Components (mgsinθ, mgcosθ)
W=Fs
P=Fv
KE=1/2*m(vf)^2 - 1/2*m(vo)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached my FBD.

To find the energy, I would use the KE equation.

KE= 1/2*8.87*0 - 1/2*8.87*(6.43)^2 = (-183.4) J

So it took -183.4 J to climb up the incline which includes friction?

I'm not sure, but I guess we could do this:

P=Fv
-183.4 = (F)(6.43)
F = (-28.5N)

To find the distance (part b), W=Fs
(-183.4)=(-28.5)s
s=6.44m

Part (c), I'm confused..

Ff = μk*N
Ff+mgsinθ-F=μk*mgcosθ

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is solved using 3 simple equations:

W[itex]\vec{F}[/itex]f=-F2[itex]\Delta[/itex]s=(.5)m(vf2-vi2) for a)

For b), use the previous equation (along with the energy you've calculated) and the following:

-(.5)mvi2+mgsinθ[itex]\Delta[/itex]s=-F[itex]\Delta[/itex]s

Finally, Ff=-μ.N with N=mgcosθ.

If you want to know the acceleration, use Newton's second law and:

a=-g(μcosθ+sinθ)

Mathoholic! said:
This problem is solved using 3 simple equations:

W[itex]\vec{F}[/itex]f=-F2[itex]\Delta[/itex]s=(.5)m(vf2-vi2) for a)

For b), use the previous equation (along with the energy you've calculated) and the following:

-(.5)mvi2+mgsinθ[itex]\Delta[/itex]s=-F[itex]\Delta[/itex]s

Finally, Ff=-μ.N with N=mgcosθ.

If you want to know the acceleration, use Newton's second law and:

a=-g(μcosθ+sinθ)

Hi Mathoholic,

It looks like I did part (a) incorrectly. Would it be that for initial velocity, I use 6.43 m/s, and for final velocity, I use 4.49? It would end up like this:

KE=1/2*m*(Vf^2-Vi^2)
KE=1/2*8.87*(4.49^2-6.43^2)
KE= (-93.95) J

(b) I don't exactly follow that formula, or why you're using it. When I plug in, I get:

-F=1/2*8.87*(6.43^2) + 8.87*9.81*sin(29.9)
-F=183.36 + 43.4 = 226.76
F= -226.76 N

For part (c), I don't quite follow how to solve it.

Last edited:
Fixed part (a). Noticed a huge mistake.

EDIT: Part (a) is still wrong..

The part a) equation is correct, you're calculating how much work is done by the friction force along a path A→B→A (up and down the incline), in which [itex]\bar{AB}[/itex]=[itex]\bar{BA}[/itex]=Δs. In part b) you use the same equation but for half the way (A→B). That's why there's an additional term (mgsinθΔs), with Δh=sinθΔs.
You have two equations and two unknowns (F and Δs), hence, you can solve for both.
As for part c), you use Ff=-μN=-μ(mgcosθ) and substitude Ff by the value you've already computed before and you get μ.

Mathoholic! said:
The part a) equation is correct, you're calculating how much work is done by the friction force along a path A→B→A (up and down the incline), in which [itex]\bar{AB}[/itex]=[itex]\bar{BA}[/itex]=Δs. In part b) you use the same equation but for half the way (A→B). That's why there's an additional term (mgsinθΔs), with Δh=sinθΔs.
You have two equations and two unknowns (F and Δs), hence, you can solve for both.
As for part c), you use Ff=-μN=-μ(mgcosθ) and substitude Ff by the value you've already computed before and you get μ.

You say that my part (a) equation is correct, but what about the numerical value that I get at the end? I'm only asking because my online homework system tells me that it's wrong. I do..sort of understand why we use that equation though.

iJamJL said:
You say that my part (a) equation is correct, but what about the numerical value that I get at the end? I'm only asking because my online homework system tells me that it's wrong. I do..sort of understand why we use that equation though.

Mind telling me what's your online homework system?

I'm absolutely sure that part a) is correct. Since the start position is the same as the ending position of the motion, you don't rely on potencial energy. Hence, you calculate the force done by friction using the variation of kinetic energy, which is what you've done.

Mathoholic! said:
Mind telling me what's your online homework system?

I'm absolutely sure that part a) is correct. Since the start position is the same as the ending position of the motion, you don't rely on potencial energy. Hence, you calculate the force done by friction using the variation of kinetic energy, which is what you've done.

webassign.net

That's what my school uses for assigning homework. I've entered -93.95. Should it be positive? I don't think so, right? What I mean is that maybe Vi and Vf should be:

KE=1/2*m*(-(Vf^2)-Vi^2)
KE=1/2*8.87*(-(4.49^2)-6.43^2)
KE= (-272.77) J

Vf is negative because it goes down to the left direction (assuming the push is up the incline toward the right direction, and we make the right side positive. So the push is positive (Vi is positive), then it comes back downward (Vf) in the negative. It obviously matters because the result for KE is much greater.

iJamJL said:
webassign.net

That's what my school uses for assigning homework. I've entered -93.95. Should it be positive? I don't think so, right? What I mean is that maybe Vi and Vf should be:

KE=1/2*m*(-(Vf^2)-Vi^2)
KE=1/2*8.87*(-(4.49^2)-6.43^2)
KE= (-272.77) J

Vf is negative because it goes down to the left direction (assuming the push is up the incline toward the right direction, and we make the right side positive. So the push is positive (Vi is positive), then it comes back downward (Vf) in the negative. It obviously matters because the result for KE is much greater.

It can't be positive. The work done by friction is always negative. Kinetic energy is a scalar quantity, thus, it's independent of the direction of the motion. You cannot put (-(4.492)-6.432) because you're accounting for the direction of the vector velocity.

1. What is the relationship between incline, friction, and energy?

The relationship between incline, friction, and energy is that they all affect the motion of an object. Incline is the angle of a surface, and it determines the direction and magnitude of the force of gravity on an object. Friction is the force that opposes motion, and it is affected by the texture and weight of the object. Energy is the ability to do work, and it is affected by the incline and friction of a surface.

2. How does an object's weight affect its motion on an inclined plane?

An object's weight affects its motion on an inclined plane by determining the force of gravity acting on it. The greater the weight of the object, the greater the force of gravity, which will cause it to accelerate down the incline at a faster rate. This is because the weight of the object is directly proportional to the force of gravity.

3. What is the role of friction in an object's motion on an inclined plane?

Friction plays a crucial role in an object's motion on an inclined plane. Friction is the force that opposes motion, and on an inclined plane, it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This means that friction will slow down the object's motion and prevent it from sliding down the incline at an uncontrollable speed. Friction also helps to keep the object in place on the incline.

4. How does the height of an inclined plane affect an object's potential energy?

The height of an inclined plane affects an object's potential energy by determining the height from which the object will fall. The higher the incline, the greater the potential energy of the object, as it has a higher starting point and more distance to fall. This potential energy can then be converted into kinetic energy as the object slides down the incline.

5. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy on an inclined plane?

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or height. On an inclined plane, kinetic energy is converted from potential energy as the object moves down the incline. The higher the incline, the greater the potential energy, and therefore, the greater the kinetic energy as the object slides down the incline.