How to Solve an Incline Plane and Pulley Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding an inclined plane and the use of equations such as F=ma and sohcahtoa to determine the correct answer. The question is deemed poorly worded and it is explained that the direction of positive acceleration can be chosen differently, resulting in different answers. Ultimately, it is determined that the correct answer is b) and further clarification is requested on how to arrive at this answer.
temaire

Homework Statement

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1767/inclineplanevq9.jpg​

Homework Equations

F = ma
sohcahtoa

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to the question is b, but I got a. I used the sine ratio and divided the forces that were acting on mass 1 by the forces acting on mass 2. Can someone help me on this question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's because the question is so badly written. If you consider positive 'a' to be m2 accelerating down, then a) is correct. If you choose positive 'a' to mean m2 is accelerating up, then b) is correct.

Actually, if you put it that way, I don't think that the question is worded badly, because m1g would be greater than the parallel force of gravity, so m2 would be accelerating up. Remember, m1 = m2. Can you explain in further detail how you came to your conclusion though?

In working these problems, you get to choose which direction you consider positive. You chose a different and equally valid way to do that. The question should have been clearer on that.

Last edited:
b) is correct.

Can you show me how you got b?

1. What is an incline plane?

An incline plane, also known as a ramp, is a flat surface that is angled between two points. It is used to reduce the effort needed to lift or move heavy objects by allowing them to be moved along the surface instead of being lifted vertically.

2. How does an incline plane make work easier?

An incline plane reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. This allows for a smaller force to be exerted over a longer distance, making the work easier.

3. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

4. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system uses multiple pulleys to distribute the weight of an object over multiple ropes or cables. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object as the weight is distributed evenly among the ropes.

5. What is the difference between a single fixed pulley and a block and tackle pulley system?

A single fixed pulley only changes the direction of a force, while a block and tackle pulley system also reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object. This is because the weight of the object is distributed over multiple ropes or cables, making it easier to lift.