Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Incline plane - Did I do this right?

1. Dec 13, 2004 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is just a question I made up because there'll probably be one like this on our final exam.

A 5 kg block is on an incline plane of 50 degrees. coeffecient of friction is 0.5. Will it slide?

N = mg cos(50)
    N = 31.529
    friction = mu * N
    friction = 15.764

force down = ma

f =m g cos(50)
    f = 31.529

force down > friction so it will slide.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2004 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Actually the force making it slide it's the x component of gravity [itex] mg \sin \theta [/itex]

and yes if [itex] mg \sin \theta > \mu mg \cos \theta [/itex] then it will slide.

4. Dec 13, 2004 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you...

5. Dec 13, 2004 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Why don't you try finding the coefficient of friction that will avoid the system from sliding or finding the angle it will not slide an a specific coefficient of friction? Those are some of the common problems asked.

6. Dec 13, 2004 #5

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

if it slides when mg sin theta > mg cos theta, then when they equal that should be the minimum mu necessary to keep it from sliding.
    mg sin theta = mu mg cos theta
    mu = (mg sin theta) / (mg cos theta)

but this gives me an answer greater than 1.

7. Dec 13, 2004 #6

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Because the inequality says [itex] \tan \theta > \mu [/tex] that's why you are getting a greater value.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook