1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incline Plane (Find the angle)

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A box of textbooks of mass 26.0 kg rests on a loading ramp that makes an angle \alpha with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.240 and the coefficient of static friction is 0.360.

As the angle \alpha is increased, find the minimum angle at which the box starts to slip.

At this angle, find the acceleration once the box has begun to move.
    Take the free fall acceleration to be g = 9.80 m/s^2.

At this angle, how fast will the box be moving after it has slid a distance 4.60 m along the loading ramp?
    Take the free fall acceleration to be g = 9.80 m/s^2.

For the first part I got

[tex]\mu[/tex]k = tan[tex]\theta[/tex]

0.360 = tan[tex]\theta[/tex]

But how do I evaluate this on my calculator? When I put in arctan(.360) I get a decimal for a degree and same if i input it as tan(.360)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2

whs

You say you get a decimal? Is that bad? Were you expecting a nice whole number?

Or do you mean you need your calculator to be in radians rather than degrees?

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    I have a VERY similar problem like this one. How did you get tan[tex]\theta[/tex] to equal [tex]\mu[/tex]k ?

5. Oct 19, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to:

1. Use the arctan function on your calculator, sometimes also called atan or tan-1
    2. Make sure the calculator is in the correct angle mode, radians or degrees.

6. Oct 19, 2009 #5
    No I mean how do you know it equals that?

7. Oct 20, 2009 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Solving this problem starts with drawing a free body diagram , showing all the forces acting on the mass. Have you done that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook