1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incline plane problem

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A mass slides on a frictionless plane inclined at an angle theta from the horizontal. The mass starts from rest at a height h(1)+h(2) , then slides off the ramp at height h(1).

I will post the link so you can visualized the problem

http://courses.ncsu.edu/py411/lec/001/

What is the velocity vector of the mass when the mass is at height h1 (as the mass leaves the ramp?)

2. Relevant equations

Force equations , Mechanical Energy equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I apply to methods to determined the velocity of mass : Forces equations and Mechanical Energy equations. I will start with Force equations

y component: F(normal)-mg cos(theta)=0, nothing moves in y direction

x-components: mg sin(theta)-0=m*a=> a=g*sin(theta) ; next thing I did was integrate a to get v and now v = gt*sin(theta). My prof said he wanted my v in vector form, meaning I think he wants the velocity , in the x, y and z directions. so v= (gt sin(theta))x + (gt cos(theta)+0 z.

Now I will find the velocity the alternative way:

(K(f)-K(i))+(U(f)-U(i))=0=> ((.5*m*v^2)-0)+(0-m*g*h2))=0 +> v=sqrt(2*g*h2). Both methods lead me to different velocities. What did I do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You found the speed as a function of time (assuming it starts from rest). What you need is the speed at the end of the ramp. Keep going.

And note that that velocity will be parallel to the ramp, so find its components properly.

4. Sep 4, 2008 #3
    should I continue to integrate the velocity vector to come up with the position vector? Now I have an equation that looks like this:

gt^2/2*sin(theta)=x, x being the length of the ramp I guess

gt^2/2*(h2/sqrt((h2)^2+x^2))=sqrt((h2)^2+x^2)) => t= sqrt(2*((h2)^2+x^2)/g*h2)) and now I can plug t into v=gt*sin(theta) right?

5. Sep 4, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right idea. But you want to eliminate x, so rewrite it in terms of h2 and theta. Then be sure to simplify the final expression, so you can compare it with your other solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?