What is the correct solution for the maximum compression of the spring?

In summary: Edit: Oops... I think I made an error when I solved the problem the second way (with the spring horizontal). It doesn't give the 'correct' answer. So your suspicion is correct: the answer is wrong no matter how you slice it.
albert12345
I've tried a few times on this problem but I can't get the right answer...

A box with mass m=1,05 kg slides down a ramp with angle=42.39°. Kinetic friction μ=0,1646 between the ramp and the box. It starts from rest. g=9,806m/s². The box hit's a spring with: k=792 N/m after sliding the distance: s= 2,875m, What is the maximum compression of the spring (x)?

I've tried the following solution based on the law of conservative energy:
(m*g*(s+x)*sin(42,39)) - (μ*m*g*(s+x)*cos(42.39)) = 0.5*k*x²

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks OK to me.

Doc Al said:
Your solution looks OK to me.

I agree. I came up with the answer: x ≈ 0,203m
The right answer is: 0,0144

What textbook is this problem from? (Just in case I have it.)

(My answer is close to yours.)

It's from an assignment. I really believe that the answer is wrong, but it has never happened before so...I must have done something wrong.

I see the problem. Is the spring on the incline? Or on the horizontal section after the incline?

Assume the latter and you'll get the given answer.

Doc Al said:
(My answer is close to yours.)
So is mine, if that means anything: 0.211 m.

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
I see the problem. Is the spring on the incline? Or on the horizontal section after the incline?

Assume the latter and you'll get the given answer.

There is no pic. for the problem, but I get your point. Does it really make that big differernce? And We have never had such problems before, so i think the spring is aligned with the plane

Albert12345 said:
There is no pic. for the problem, but I get your point. Does it really make that big differernce? And We have never had such problems before, so i think the spring is aligned with the plane
Try it and see for yourself!

Doc Al said:
Try it and see for yourself!

I really don't think it's right. It's going to be the same since Ug2=the height + the compression of the spring.

Albert12345 said:
I really don't think it's right. It's going to be the same since Ug2=the height + the compression of the spring.
Assume the spring is horizontally oriented after the mass slides down the incline. You'll get an answer that matches the one you say is correct.

Ok! But I don't understand how I should calculate it :/

Albert12345 said:
Ok! But I don't understand how I should calculate it :/
Similar to what you did before: you'll use energy conservation. Only this time it's even easier to solve. (Only the incline has friction--assume the flat part after the incline has no friction.)

Doc Al said:
Similar to what you did before: you'll use energy conservation. Only this time it's even easier to solve. (Only the incline has friction--assume the flat part after the incline has no friction.)

I just tried it! It's weird cause I got the same answer again :/

k1 = (1/2)mv^2 equals U2= (1/2)kx^2

Albert12345 said:
I just tried it! It's weird cause I got the same answer again :/

k1 = (1/2)mv^2 equals U2= (1/2)kx^2
Try again. Show me an equation similar to what you had in your first post.

I calculated the velocity when the box has slided down the plane:
v= 5,581963937m/s (The speed is just before the box hit's the spring

Then I put in the velocity in the ecuation I wrote earlier, together with the spring constant and then I solved for x

I've tried the same formula I used when I started this topic on another assignment of the same type. It shows that the solution in the assignment was wrong!

IDIOTS! We were right al along :D Thanks for your help guys!

Albert12345 said:
I've tried the same formula I used when I started this topic on another assignment of the same type. It shows that the solution in the assignment was wrong!
It all depends on whether the spring is on the incline or after the incline. You need a diagram.

Edit: Oops... I think I made an error when I solved the problem the second way (with the spring horizontal). It doesn't give the 'correct' answer. So your suspicion is correct: the answer is wrong no matter how you slice it. Your instructor probably made the same error that I made! That's why I got the 'correct' answer that way. :uhh:

Last edited:

1. What is an inclined plane problem?

An inclined plane problem is a physics problem that involves an object moving on an inclined plane, which is a flat surface that is angled or sloped.

2. How do you calculate the forces on an object on an inclined plane?

To calculate the forces on an object on an inclined plane, you must consider the weight of the object, the force of gravity, and the normal force exerted by the plane. You can use trigonometry and Newton's laws to calculate these forces.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the force required to move an object up the plane?

The force required to move an object up an inclined plane is directly proportional to the angle of the plane. As the angle increases, the force required also increases.

4. How does friction affect an object on an inclined plane?

Friction can either help or hinder an object on an inclined plane. If the object is moving up the plane, friction will act in the opposite direction and make it more difficult to move. However, if the object is moving down the plane, friction will act in the same direction and help it move.

5. Can an object ever slide down an inclined plane without any external force?

No, an object will not slide down an inclined plane without any external force. This is because the force of gravity is always acting on the object, and without any opposing force, the object will accelerate down the plane.