Calculating Force and Angle on Incline Plane with Friction

In summary, the book gives the answer of 41.7 while my answer is 42.99...any ideas?First, where is your gravitaional constant g? Secondly, the gravity component (ie the sine-part) is bigger then the friction component (the cosine part). This means that the block is going down with a force equal to the difference between the two parts in your equation. You need to apply a force , equal to that difference but opposite in direction, to make sure that the block does not go down anymore.
physicsss
Knowing that the incline plane has an angle of 30 degrees and the coefficient of friction between a 60 lb block and the incline is 0.25, determine the smallest force P for which motion of the block up the incline is impending and the corresponding angle the force makes with the incline plane.

Is P= 0.25*cos(30)*60+sin(30)*60? But the book gives the answer of 41.7 while my answer is 42.99...any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, where is your gravitaional constant g ?

Isn't lb just pounds ?

Secondly, the gravity component (ie the sine-part) is bigger then the friction component (the cosine part). This means that the block is going down with a force equal to the difference between the two parts in your equation. You need to apply a force , equal to that difference but opposite in direction, to make sure that the block does not go down anymore

marlon

Doesn't the sine part points at the same direction as the friction part...?

And pound is a force.

P is at an angle to the incline. If you keep P acting along the plane then you will get P = 42.99...
But if you angle P upwards from the plane. then it will have a lifting effect on the block which will reduce the friction, hence reduce the slope component required from P.

Edit: looks like a minimisation problem, perhaps ?

Can you get me started?

Hold on a moment.

Use the sketch below.
Do the same as before, but adjust the friction value and the force normal to the plane to take the new position of P into account.
You will get a function involving beta, the angle of P.

Now differentiate P wrt beta in order to minimise P.
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1593/physicss0fb.th.jpg"

Edit: changed maximise to minimise.

Attachments

• physicss.jpg
    physicss.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 373
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll post my attachment onto image shack.

Is this right?
sum of forces alont the incline:
P*cos(B)-0.25*cos(30)*60-sin(30)*60=0

P*sin(B)+cos(30)*60-cos(30)*60=0

Just worked through it myself. I got 41.7 deg :biggrin:

P.sinB reduces the normal force on the plane and so reduces the friction component. You haven't included that in your calculations yet.

I don't quite get it...

The normal force on the plane is mg.cos@ less the normal component of P, which is P.sinB.
So, the normal force on the plane is NR = mg.cos@ - P.sinB.

P*cos(B)-0.25( cos(30)*60-P*sin(B) ) - sin(30)(60)=0?

Last edited:
Yas!

Now get P as a function of B and "minimise" it.

Thank you!

1. How do you calculate the force on an incline plane with friction?

To calculate the force on an incline plane with friction, you will first need to determine the weight of the object on the incline. This can be done by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity. Next, you will need to determine the angle of the incline. Once you have these values, you can use the formula F = mgsinθ + μmgcosθ, where F is the force, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

2. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measurement of the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is represented by the symbol μ and is a unitless value. A higher coefficient of friction indicates that there is more resistance between the two surfaces, while a lower coefficient of friction indicates less resistance.

3. How do you calculate the angle of an incline plane?

To calculate the angle of an incline plane, you can use the inverse sine function (arcsin) in a scientific calculator. First, determine the height and length of the incline plane. Then, divide the height by the length and take the inverse sine of the quotient. This will give you the angle of the incline in degrees.

4. What is the difference between kinetic and static friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are in contact and moving relative to each other. It is often represented by the symbol μk. Static friction, on the other hand, is the force that must be overcome in order to start the motion of two surfaces that are in contact and at rest relative to each other. It is often represented by the symbol μs. In general, kinetic friction is typically lower than static friction.

5. How does the angle of the incline affect the force required to move an object?

The angle of the incline has a direct impact on the force required to move an object. As the angle of the incline increases, the force required to move the object also increases. This is because the steeper the incline, the more the weight of the object is acting against the force of gravity. Additionally, the coefficient of friction also plays a role, as a higher coefficient of friction will require more force to overcome the resistance between the surfaces.