1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incline plane

1. Oct 20, 2004 #1
    a 3.00 kg block starts from rest @ the top of a 30-degree and slides 2.00 m down in 1.50s. Find (a) the acceleration of the block (b) the coefficient of kinetic friction between it and the incline, (c) the frictional force acting on the block, and (d) the speed of the block after it has slid 2.00 m
    please help!!! :confused: :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2004 #2

T@P

from what limited knowledge i have of this... all you would do is solev the for a using newtons second law and then plug that in to a kinematic eqtn (x = at^2/2) to find t and and then use newtons second law again in another direction to solve for friction (mu)...

please tell me if you want a more quantitative result as i only listed th idea behind it...

4. Oct 20, 2004 #3
    what was that formula again i just need a better theory behind itm that was a little fast

5. Oct 21, 2004 #4
    for (a) use s=ut+0.5a(t2) where u=0 and s=2.0m and t=time to find a=acceleration

for (b) use
    (mg sin#)-(u mg cos#)=ma

m=mass
    a=acceleration from (a)
    #=angle
    g=9.8
    u=coefficent

for (c) answer = u mg cos# :biggrin:

for (d) answer= u+at
    u=0
    a=accerletion
    t=time

TADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :surprised
    OK!!!!.....now how abt a pay back @ pizza hut :devil:

6. Oct 21, 2004 #5
    thanks a million man, that really helps me out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?