1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incline Plane

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    !00kg trolley is being pushed up a rough 30 degree incline by a constant force F the firction force Ff between the incline and the trolley is 110n gravity is 9.8ms

2. Relevant equations
    Determine the value of F that will move the trolley up the incline at a constant velocity
    determine the value of F that will accelerate the trolley up the incline at a value of 2ms
    calculate the acceleration if F=1000
    what is the value of F if they trolley accelerates up the incline at 10ms

3. The attempt at a solution
    Given this question at school have no formulas on how to do completly lost have spent 2 hours trying to find info on the net cant find anything
    i attempted first question with mgxsin30* + 110 and got 600N and that was correct answer but i dont think i have the correct working out
    and 2nd question i just did fnet = 100x2 600+200 = 800N and that was correct answer but im pretty sure working out is wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the correct answers, but please show how you arrived at them. For part a, since the movement is at constant velocity, there must be no net force acting in the direction of the incline (Newton 1, sum of all forces parallel to incline = 0). For part b, the net force acting in the direction of the incline must be equal to 'ma' (Newton 2, sum of all forces parallel to incline = ma).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook