Calculating Velocity & Acceleration for 45° Incline Drop

In summary, the angle of incline is 45 degrees, the length of the incline is 30 meters, and the time of drop is 2.14 seconds.
pharaoh
angle of incline is 45 degree, length of the incline is 30m, and the the time of drop is 2.14

1- what should your velocity be at the base of the drop (frictionless)?

my answer: average v=d/t
v=30/2.14=14.0*2=28m/s

2- what is you velocity at the base of the drop?
mgh=1/2mv^2
2gh=v^2
2(9.81)(30)=v^2
square root of 588.6=24.26m/s

what should the acceleration be for #1?

ma=mgsin45
a=gsin45
a=9.81*sin45= 6.937m/s^2

what should your acceleration be for #2?
a=v/t=24.26/2.14=11.33/2= 5.75m/s^2

am I right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Er, what exactly is the problem?

the problem is: from the rest you slide on an incline with an angle of 45 degree and the length of the incline is 30 meter and the time of the drop is 2.14 seconds:1- what should your velocity be at the base of the drop (frictionless)?

2- what is you velocity at the base of the drop?

what should the acceleration be for #1?what should your acceleration be for #2?

You have made a few mistakes but your on the right track.

Your answer for part 1 is wrong. Since v isn't constant, your can't use v=d/t. Try a different kinematic equation.

For part 2: This is set up correctly if there is no friction. So, you can actually use this method for part 1. The only problem is that 30m is not the height of the object, it is the length of the incline. Use trig to find the height. For this part, you have to work out the acceleration with friction(answer to part 4). Use the time to find the actual acceleration with friction involved.

For part 3: This is correct.

Part 4: This will be correct assuming you find the correct final velocity in part 2 and the object starts with velocity of 0.

Good luck! See how far you can get now!

Last edited:
for number one
d=1/2at^2
d=.5(9.81)(2.14^2)=22.46 meter (vertical drop)

2gh=v^2
2(9.81)(22.46)=V^2
v= 20.99 m/s

i couldn't figure out number 2

That method for finding the height won't work. Use trigonometry, Make a triangle with the slope. otherwise that's correct. I got to go for now, but if you still haven't got #2 answered I'll help you when I get back. Good Luck!

since it 45, 45, 90 triangle
30/the square root of 2= 21.213 meter
2(9.81)(21.213)=v^2
v=20.40

what about number two, I couldn,t figure it out

for number two:
v=30/2.14=14*2=28

Vf=Vi+at=
a= 28/2.14=13.0/2= 6.55 m/s^2
v=6.55*2.14=14 m/s

Last edited:
pharaoh said:
for number two:
v=30/2.14=14*2=28

Vf=Vi+at=
a= 28/2.14=13.0/2= 6.55 m/s^2
v=6.55*2.14=14 m/s

This gives you the average speed, which probably isn't exact enough for the problem. Do you know the coefficient of friction for the slope?

the coefficient of friction= Fn/Fg=Fg sin (theta)/Fg cos(theta)=Tan (theta)
=tan 45= 1

the coefficient is not given so i tried to solve it

can i use this formula for the acceleration then i can find the velocity

a= gsin(theta)+Mkgcos(theta)
since mk=tan(theta)

for the acceleration
Vf= V.*t+0.5at^2
Vf=d+0.5at^2
a=30/05(2.14^2)=13.10 m/s^2

That can't be the coefficient of friction. That equation is only true if the force of gravity equals the force of friction, which we know it doesn't since the object still has a net force accelerating it. Are your sure more information wasn't given?

no more information was given

for the acceleration
Vf= V.*t+0.5at^2
Vf=d+0.5at^2
a=30/05(2.14^2)=13.10 m/s^2

That won't work since v is not constant. The only time you can apply v=d/t without error is when v is constant. Try this:

Use [tex]x_f=x_o+v_ot+.5at^2[/tex]

Here you start at x_o=0 and end at x_f=30. You know the time. Go from here.

a=30/0.5(2.14^2)
because Vi is zero and the x_o is zero also

what formula will make me fined the coefficient since the Tan (theta) is wrong

That looks good for the acceleration. Now using a and t you can easily find v_f for part 2.

Off the top of my head, the only way I can think of finding the coefficient right now is to find the change in net force between the two scenarios. This change will be equal to the friction force. You can then use this value to find the coefficient. It's not part of the problem you posted, but you can try it if you want practice!

Otherwise, good job getting this problem!

Last edited:
thanks that help, I really appreciate it

No problem! Good luck in the future!

What is the formula for calculating velocity on a 45° incline drop?

The formula for calculating velocity on a 45° incline drop is v = √(2ghsinθ), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), h is the height of the incline, and θ is the angle of the incline (45°).

How do you calculate acceleration on a 45° incline drop?

The formula for calculating acceleration on a 45° incline drop is a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the incline (45°).

What are the units for velocity and acceleration?

The units for velocity are meters per second (m/s) and the units for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s²).

Can you use these formulas for any incline angle?

Yes, these formulas can be used for any incline angle. However, the angle must be measured in radians instead of degrees. To convert from degrees to radians, multiply the angle in degrees by π/180.

What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration on a 45° incline drop?

The relationship between velocity and acceleration on a 45° incline drop is that the acceleration remains constant while the velocity increases. This is because the force of gravity acts on the object along the incline, causing it to accelerate, but the force of gravity does not affect the horizontal motion of the object. Therefore, the acceleration (a) is equal to the slope of the velocity (v) versus time (t) graph, and the velocity increases linearly with time.