How do I calculate the forces on an incline with given parameters?

In summary, the given information includes a force of 51N on the pulley, an angle of 31 degrees for the pulley, a mass of 15 kg for the box, an angle of 31 degrees for the incline, and a kinetic friction coefficient of 0.5. The relevant equations used in solving the problem are ƩFy = 0, ƩFx = ma, and F(friction) = N*μ. The solution involves breaking down the 51N force into its x and y components, finding the normal force N through summing the forces in the y direction, and calculating the force of friction using the normal force and coefficient of friction. However, there is uncertainty surrounding
lecammm
As given by the attached question, we are given:
  1. The force on the pulley, 51N
  2. The angle of the pulley, 31 degrees
  3. The mass of the box, 15 kg
  4. The angle of the incline, 31 degrees
  5. The kinetic friction coefficient, 0.5

I think the relevant equations are:

ƩFy = 0;
ƩFx = ma;
F(friction) = N*μ

My attempt of the solution involved choosing my axis to be parallel to the slope (x axis) and y-axis perpendicular to the slope, then breaking the 51N force on the pulley up into it's components, i.e;

for x direction: 51cos(31)
for y direction: 51sin(31)

Then break up the boxes weight force into x & y components, i.e.

for x direction: (15*9.81)*cos(31)
for y direction: (15*9.81)*sin(31)

Next I summed the forces in the y direction to find the normal force N

i.e.

ƩFy = -(15*9.81*sin(31))+N+51(sin(31) = 0

Giving

N = 49.521

Next I found the force for friction giving:

F = 49.521*0.5
F = 24.7605

So then I tried to calculate the forces in the x direction with the positive direction being up the slope

ƩFx = 24.7605 + 51cos(31) + T - (15*9.81)*cos(31) + F = 15 * a

However I do not know where to find T, or if any of this working is correct, I'd really like some guidance on where to go from here, thanks.

Attachments

• slope.png
    slope.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the force on the pulley 51N ? The diagram shows the tension in the rope is 51N.

The tension in the rope will be the same both sides of the pulley. One side is parallel with the slope. One side at an angle. The total component parallel with the slope will be more than 51N.

You haven't explained what T is (for example it's not shown on the diagram).

Last edited:

1. What is an inclined slope?

An inclined slope is a surface that is slanted or sloped at an angle. It is often used in physics and engineering to describe the angle of a ramp or a hill.

2. How do you calculate the angle of an inclined slope?

The angle of an inclined slope can be calculated by dividing the vertical rise (height) by the horizontal run (distance). This can be represented by the formula: angle = arctan (rise/run).

3. Why is the angle of an inclined slope important?

The angle of an inclined slope is important because it affects the force required to move an object up or down the slope. It also determines the speed and acceleration of an object moving on the slope.

4. What is the difference between an inclined plane and an inclined slope?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is angled or slanted, while an inclined slope is a surface that is slanted in one direction only. Inclined planes are often used to reduce the force needed to lift or move an object, while inclined slopes are used to describe the angle of a surface.

5. How can an inclined slope be used in real life?

Inclined slopes are used in many real-life applications, such as ramps for wheelchairs, roads with steep inclines, and playground slides. They are also commonly used in construction and engineering projects, such as building roads, bridges, and dams.