Inclined Beam w/ UDL Homework Statement

In summary, the author has calculated the moment at two points and attempted to find the deflection of a hydraulic cylinder due to bending. However, the deflection is not given for the system as a whole, but is only found for the tip of the cylinder. The deflection is found to be 0.54mm, however this is only an estimate based on a cantilever assumption.
MayZ91

Homework Statement

Hello all,

I am trying to find the deflection of a hydraulic cylinder at point A (refer the attached).
There are two hydraulic cylinders, with certain distance apart. On top of it is a beam that is inclined to the horizontal by 12 degrees. The piston is operated by two different pumps, which facilitates in extending and retracting of the pistons individually. I have captured the length of the piston after the guide in the hydraulic cylinder, as it is firmly fixed.
A UDL of 1.56 N/mm is acting on the beam perpendicular to the horizontal.
Please refer the attached to get the geometry of the system.

Homework Equations

I have calculated the moments at point A and B, by assuming these points as fixed. However, they are all rotary joints.
The reason to assume it to be fixed is to break the system into two sub-systems. One is the beam and other are the pistons.
After finding the moment at A and B from first subsystem, I transfer the moment into second sub system to obtain the deflection at A. (deflection = M(L^2)/(2EI))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached the excel sheet, where I have done my calculations.
I have ended up with 0.54mm as the deflection. But, this is by assuming the piston is a cantilever (deflection = M(L^2)/(2EI))

However, it is not a cantilever with a free end. The deflection obtained from FEA is 0.036mm.
Please help.

Attachments

• Calculations.xlsx
    130.6 KB · Views: 635
  • Image.PNG
    Image.PNG
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,758
Physics news on Phys.org
MayZ91 said:
I am trying to find the deflection of a hydraulic cylinder at point A

The deflection at A due to what? Bending? Isn't A the tip of one of your hydraulic cylinders? You have a given position for A (357.34), so what deflection are you thinking about here?

Is B the tip of the second hydraulic cylinder?

It is a bit flaky to take about a uniformly distributed load on an inclined beam if we have to think in terms of the angle of inclination as variable. If the 12 degree angle is decreased to say 8 deg, the horizontal length of the beam increases. Does the total load on the beam likewise increase, or does something else happen? This seems ill posed!

Hello,

Thank you very much for going through the post.

You're right, the tip B is the tip of the second cylinder.
Also, to maintain the distance between the cylinders constant, there is a sliding member on the beam CD at point B.
The actual scenario is this, the two hydraulic cylinders are screwed to 2 load beams respectively, these load beams are oriented in the direction of the paper(X-axis). The beam CD is mounted on top of these two load beams. The load beam on B has the sliding point, on which the beam CD slides when the hydraulic cylinder retracts.

The end condition here is the problem. Although the load beam has the sliding member and the rotary joint, the hydraulic cylinder gets tightly screwed to the load beams. Therefore, it may needs to be considered as simply supported with respect to beam CD(I think!)
If its simply supported, then I have to use the elastic beam deflection formula = M*(L^2)/(27*E*I)
What I am trying to find is the deflection of point A, due to bending in horizontal axis (Y-axis).

Attachments

• Co-ordinate system.PNG
    Co-ordinate system.PNG
    307 bytes · Views: 617
Last edited:
And the UDL is decided based on the test conditions. I do not know how that decision is made.
Also, to make it clear, i am not worried about the load beams or the beam CD. My concern is the bending of the piston of the hyd cylinder.

Last edited:

Dear researcher,

Thank you for sharing your work on finding the deflection of the inclined beam with a UDL. It is clear that you have put a lot of effort into your calculations and have taken into consideration the complexities of the system.

It is important to note that in order to accurately calculate the deflection of a beam, the boundary conditions and loading conditions must be accurately represented. In this case, the hydraulic cylinder and pistons provide additional support and constraints to the beam, which may affect the deflection.

Additionally, using FEA can provide a more accurate representation of the deflection as it takes into account the material properties and structural behavior. However, it is always important to validate FEA results with experimental data.

I suggest considering the boundary conditions and loading conditions more carefully in your calculations and comparing your results with experimental data to ensure accuracy. It may also be helpful to consult with a structural engineer or conduct further research on similar systems to gain a better understanding of the behavior of the inclined beam with UDL.

Best of luck with your research.

Sincerely,

What is an inclined beam with UDL?

An inclined beam with UDL (Uniformly Distributed Load) is a type of structural element that is used to support a load distributed evenly over its entire length. It is inclined at an angle to the horizontal, making it suitable for use in structures that require additional support or flexibility.

What are the factors that affect the behavior of an inclined beam with UDL?

The behavior of an inclined beam with UDL is affected by several factors including the magnitude and distribution of the load, the material properties of the beam, and the angle of inclination. Other factors such as support conditions and external forces also play a role in determining the beam's behavior.

How do I calculate the reactions at the supports of an inclined beam with UDL?

To calculate the reactions at the supports of an inclined beam with UDL, you need to use the principles of statics. This involves determining the sum of the forces and moments acting on the beam and setting them equal to zero. By solving these equations, you can find the reactions at the supports.

What is the bending moment diagram for an inclined beam with UDL?

The bending moment diagram for an inclined beam with UDL is a graphical representation of the internal bending moments along the length of the beam. It shows how the bending moment varies along the beam, with the maximum value occurring at the point where the shear force is zero.

What are the applications of an inclined beam with UDL?

An inclined beam with UDL has various applications in engineering and construction, such as in bridges, roofs, and cranes. It is also commonly used in trusses and other structures that require additional support or flexibility. Additionally, it can be used to distribute loads evenly over a large area, reducing stress and increasing stability.