1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclined Blocks Connected By a String

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The mass of block a or Ma is equal to 3.00 kg and the mass of block b or Mb is equal to 1.50 kg. The two blocks are connected by a string and are sitting on an incline of 38[tex]\circ[/tex] with block b being the higher on the incline than block a. The string between them is taut. I need to find the acceleration of the system of the two blocks and the tension in the connecting string.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]F_{net}=m\cdot a[/tex]
    [tex]F_{w}=m\cdot g[/tex]
    [tex]F_{N}=-F_{w}[/tex]
    [tex]F_{x}=m\cdot g\cos\theta[/tex]
    [tex]F_{y}=m\cdot g\sin\theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok so I am thinking that because the x compoent of force on Block b is less than Block a the acceleration of the system would just be the x component of the vector for Block a over the mass of Block a minus the mass of Block b:
    [tex]a=\frac{m_{a}\cdot g\cos\theta}{m_{a}-m_{b}}[/tex]
    I think subtracting the masses is correct because Block b is preventing Block a from achieving its full potential acceleration because they are connected via the string. I also think that this is the formula for the acceleration of the system because if the x component of the force for Block b were higher than that of Block a then the string would slacken because Block b would be accelerating faster than Block a.

If there is any flaws to my logic please point them out.

Also for the tension of the string I am not sure what to start with to solve the problem. I think something like:
    [tex]T_{s}=m_{a}\cdot g\cos\theta - m_{b}[/tex]
    would be it but I dont know.

Please help. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted