Inclined plane and force of friction

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the force of friction for an inclined plane when given the mass of the object, the angle of the inclined plane, and the acceleration. It is recommended to split the weight of the object into its components and consider the direction of motion to determine the resultant force. The conversation also includes a question about finding the total frictional force for a system of three blocks accelerating in the same direction.
dranseth

Homework Statement

I am having some difficulties finding out the force of friction for an inclined plane. If we know the mass of the object, the angle of the inclined plane, and the acceleration, how to we find Ff?

I know how to draw the diagrams, but I can't seem to find what force of friction is without a coefficient of friction or an applied force.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that the object is moving down the plane so that acceleration you have times the mass gives the resultant force down the plane.
The component of the objects weight acts down the plane...and the frictional force opposes this motion(i.e. acts up the plane). Can you now form an equation for the resultant force from these two forces?

That makes sense. How do we know how many components to use for net force in a given problem? I was making this much more complicated than it is..

This is partially because I am teaching this to myself and I came across one question whcihO involved the sum of the applied force, parallel component to the gravitational force, and applied force. I didn't really understand why... It was in equilibrium so the added to equal 0.

dranseth said:
That makes sense. How do we know how many components to use for net force in a given problem?

When dealing with problems involving inclined planes, spit the weight of the object into its components (One will always be perpendicular to the plane and the other will always be parallel to it acting down the plane).

After you have done that, consider the direction of motion. If the object does not move then the resultant force acting on it is zero. If the object moves down the plane then the resultant force is the sum of the forces acting down the plane(in the direction of motion)- the sum of the forces opposing motion(i.e. up the plane)

dranseth said:
This is partially because I am teaching this to myself and I came across one question whcihO involved the sum of the applied force, parallel component to the gravitational force, and applied force. I didn't really understand why... It was in equilibrium so the added to equal 0

Post the question and I will see if I can help you understand it better

You slide a 325N trunk up a 20degree inclined plane with constant motion by exerting a force of 211N parallel to the inclined plane.

what is the sum of the applied force, friction, and the parallel component to the trunks weight? why?thanks in advanced

dranseth said:
You slide a 325N trunk up a 20degree inclined plane with constant motion by exerting a force of 211N parallel to the inclined plane.

what is the sum of the applied force, friction, and the parallel component to the trunks weight?

ok well the resultant force is ma

the component of the 325N against motion is 325sin20

so that ma=211-325sin20-F (F is frictional force)...I hope you reached that far

The question stated that motion was constant. Remember what Newton's first law says about if a body moves with constant motion in a straight line?

net=0

dranseth said:
net=0
Right. so that the net force is zero

so that the sum of the forces is zero. But they did say that there is motion (which is constant). Now if the net force is zero,what does that mean for the acceleration? And hence velocity?

a=0, velocity=constant

dranseth said:
a=0, velocity=constant

Right.So the object is not in equilibrium but is just moving with a constant velocity.

one last question. If I was dealing with a system that contained three blocks attached by a string such as:

[]-[]-[]

and they were accelerating in the right direction, when I am calculating the total frictional force, do I add up all of the normals for the equation Ff=ufn?

Yes you would.

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat surface set at an angle. It allows objects to be moved from a lower to a higher position with less force than lifting the object directly. Examples of inclined planes include ramps and stairs.

2. How does an inclined plane reduce the force needed to move an object?

An inclined plane reduces the force needed to move an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. This makes it easier to move the object against gravity, as a smaller force is required over a longer distance.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the force required to move an object?

The force required to move an object on an inclined plane is directly proportional to the angle of the inclined plane. The steeper the angle, the greater the force needed to move the object. This is because a steeper angle increases the component of the object's weight acting against the plane, which must be overcome by the applied force.

4. How does friction affect an object on an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. On an inclined plane, friction acts to resist the movement of the object down the plane. This means that the force needed to move the object up the plane must be greater than the force of friction acting against it.

5. How can the force of friction be reduced on an inclined plane?

The force of friction on an inclined plane can be reduced by using a smoother surface for the object to slide on, or by reducing the weight of the object. Additionally, adding a lubricant, such as oil, can also reduce the force of friction between the object and the inclined plane.