Inclined Plane Newton's Third Law

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of kinetic friction between a box and a ramp, given its acceleration. The process involves finding the net acceleration of the box, and using the acceleration in the direction of friction and normal to calculate the coefficient of friction. The person providing the summary thanks the other for their help.
hshphyss
Can anyone help me with this problem? thank-you

A box slides down a 39° ramp with an acceleration of 1.32 m/s2. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show what you've done so far.

I don't know where to start because of the many unknwns. I know that mgcos39=N.

I m sorry, if its too late!

Just registered myself...so i don't know if the answer wud still help u!
in ur quest...the acceleration given is the net acceleration actin on the object that's slidin down the ramp. so we know that the difference between the acceleration actin horizontally down the ramp and the acceleration actin opposite to it(acceleration occurin in the direction of friction) has to be 1.32m/s/s.
all we need ta do now is to find the acceleration actin horizontally down the ramp. which has ta be 9.8 times sin39= 6.2m/s/s
as i already mentioned the frictional acceleration has ta be 1.32 less than 6.2(6.2-1.3=4.8m/s/s
so now we know the acceleration in the direction of kinetic friction. acceleration occurin in the direction of normal is balanced by the acceleration towards the gravity. so if we find the y component of gravity...we hav the normal(as it has ta be the same!
thats 9.8 cos39=7.6m/s/s
co-eff of friction= accl towrds friction/acceleration normal
4.8/7.6=.64
thats bout it i guess...generally we use force instead of acceleration...but in this prob we assume mass constant!
if u hav further doubts...u can always post it, it will help me learn more...
take care

wow thank-you so much

What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts a force back on the first object that is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

How does Newton's Third Law apply to inclined planes?

When an object is placed on an inclined plane, it experiences a gravitational force pulling it towards the ground. This force is countered by the normal force of the inclined plane pushing back on the object. According to Newton's Third Law, these two forces are equal and opposite.

Can Newton's Third Law be applied to moving objects on an inclined plane?

Yes, Newton's Third Law can be applied to moving objects on an inclined plane. As the object moves down the inclined plane, it exerts a force on the plane in the direction of its motion. This is balanced by an equal and opposite force exerted by the plane on the object in the opposite direction.

How does the angle of an inclined plane affect Newton's Third Law?

The angle of an inclined plane does not affect Newton's Third Law. The law still holds true regardless of the angle of the plane. However, the angle of the plane can affect the magnitudes of the forces involved, as a steeper angle will result in a greater gravitational force and normal force.

What are some real-life examples of Newton's Third Law on inclined planes?

One example is a person sliding down a slide. The person exerts a force on the slide in the direction of their motion, and the slide exerts an equal and opposite force on the person. Another example is a car driving up a hill. The car exerts a force on the hill in the direction of its motion, and the hill exerts an equal and opposite force on the car, allowing it to move up the incline.