1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclined Plane Problem

1. Dec 17, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Inclined Plane Problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A box is accelerating down an inclined plane at a rate of 2m/s/s. If the plane is angled at 40degrees, what is the mass?

2. Relevant equations
    a=F net/m

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have absolutely no idea how to go about solving this problem. I am a newbie to physics and have tried to think of a way to solve this but without other forces i'm lost please help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2007 #2
    <bump>

4. Dec 17, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't matter what the mass is. I don't think you've stated the problem correctly. On an inclined plane with a given inclination and value of g, all masses will accelerate at the same rate.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  5. Dec 17, 2007 #4
    Well i don't think I've stated the problem incorrectly, this is possibly my teacher has due to this question came right off my HW assignment.

6. Dec 17, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe the question is bad, but the force along the plane acting on the object is mg*sin(40). Since F=ma, ma=mg*sin(40). The mass cancels. You can't possibly determine it.

7. Dec 17, 2007 #6
    Hm does that mean that all objects regardless of mass will accelerate at the same speed given that g remains constant as well as the angle?

8. Dec 17, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly.

9. Dec 17, 2007 #8
    Wait does this mean that the plane is frictionless?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  10. Dec 17, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If your instructor is prone to trick questions like this, the answer would be yes.

11. Dec 17, 2007 #10
    Thank you very much for the help, also though does this mean that the plane mentioned is frictionless?

12. Dec 17, 2007 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the plane isn't frictionless all of the relevant forces are still proportional to m, as is the acceleration. m will still cancel. You need some force entering that is not proportional to m to be able to determine it.

13. Dec 17, 2007 #12
    Alright i get it now thanks.:bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?