How to Solve an Inclined Plane Problem: Finding Mass with Acceleration and Angle

In summary, the problem of determining the mass of a box accelerating down an inclined plane at a rate of 2m/s/s with an angle of 40 degrees cannot be solved without additional information. This is because the relevant forces involved are all proportional to the mass, thus making the mass cancel out in the equation. The question may be a trick question and it is important to consider if there are any other forces present in order to determine the mass.
Grimly
[SOLVED] Inclined Plane Problem

Homework Statement

A box is accelerating down an inclined plane at a rate of 2m/s/s. If the plane is angled at 40degrees, what is the mass?

Homework Equations

a=F net/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea how to go about solving this problem. I am a newbie to physics and have tried to think of a way to solve this but without other forces I'm lost please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
<bump>

It doesn't matter what the mass is. I don't think you've stated the problem correctly. On an inclined plane with a given inclination and value of g, all masses will accelerate at the same rate.

Last edited:
Dick said:
It doesn't matter what the mass is. I don't think you've stated the problem correctly.
Well i don't think I've stated the problem incorrectly, this is possibly my teacher has due to this question came right off my HW assignment.

Maybe the question is bad, but the force along the plane acting on the object is mg*sin(40). Since F=ma, ma=mg*sin(40). The mass cancels. You can't possibly determine it.

Hm does that mean that all objects regardless of mass will accelerate at the same speed given that g remains constant as well as the angle?

Grimly said:
Hm does that mean that all objects regardless of mass will accelerate at the same speed given that g remains constant as well as the angle?

Exactly.

Dick said:
Maybe the question is bad, but the force along the plane acting on the object is mg*sin(40). Since F=ma, ma=mg*sin(40). The mass cancels. You can't possibly determine it.
Wait does this mean that the plane is frictionless?

Last edited:
Grimly said:
So this means that the question was trick and that the mass can't be solved without more information?

If your instructor is prone to trick questions like this, the answer would be yes.

Dick said:
If your instructor is prone to trick questions like this, the answer would be yes.
Thank you very much for the help, also though does this mean that the plane mentioned is frictionless?

If the plane isn't frictionless all of the relevant forces are still proportional to m, as is the acceleration. m will still cancel. You need some force entering that is not proportional to m to be able to determine it.

Dick said:
If the plane isn't frictionless all of the relevant forces are still proportional to m, as is the acceleration. m will still cancel. You need some force entering that is not proportional to m to be able to determine it.
Alright i get it now thanks.:bugeye:

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is raised at one end. It is used to decrease the amount of force needed to lift an object to a certain height.

What is the formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane is MA = length of incline/height of incline.

What is the relationship between the length and height of an inclined plane?

The length and height of an inclined plane are inversely proportional. This means that as the length of the incline increases, the height decreases, and vice versa.

How does friction affect the use of an inclined plane?

Friction can decrease the efficiency of an inclined plane. The steeper the incline, the more friction the object will experience, making it more difficult to move up the plane.

What are some real-life examples of inclined planes?

Inclined planes can be found in everyday objects such as ramps, stairs, and even playground slides. They are also used in industrial equipment, such as conveyor belts and loading ramps for trucks.