How Do You Calculate the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction on an Incline?

However, Way 2 is correct. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.372.In summary, a 3kg block slides 2m down a 30 degree incline in 1.5 seconds. The acceleration of the block is 1.778m/s^2 and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is 0.372.
aeroengphys
A 3kg block starts at the top of a 30 degree incline and slides 2m down the incline in 1.5 seconds.
a) Find acceleration of the block.
b) Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the blcok and the incline.

For a) x = vot + 1/2at^2 --> a = 1.778m/s^2
For b) *here's where I'm having some problems*
I tried doing it two different ways and i get two different answers.

Way 1:
Ff = uFn
Ff/Fn = u
mgsinx/mgcosx=u
tanx=u
u = .577

Way 2:
ΣF=ma
mgsinx - umgcosx = ma
gsinx - ugcosx =a
a-gsinx/-gcosx = u
(1.778m/s^2 - 5m/s^2)/-(10*cos30) = u
u = .372

which way is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
So after reviewing what i typed in, i think that you can only use u = tanx when ΣF=0, is my assumption correct?

Way 1 is wrong, since the force of friction does not equal mgsinx.

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is used to move objects from a lower height to a higher height with less force. It is a flat surface that is angled or sloped, making it easier to lift heavy objects by using less force over a longer distance.

2. How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by reducing the amount of force needed to move an object to a higher elevation. This is achieved by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. The longer the inclined plane, the less force is required to move an object up the slope.

3. What are some examples of inclined planes?

Some examples of inclined planes include ramps, slides, and staircases. Other examples include a road going up a hill, a slide at a playground, and a wheelchair ramp.

4. What is the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane?

The mechanical advantage of an inclined plane is the ratio of the length of the slope to the height it spans. This means that the longer the inclined plane, the smaller the force required to move an object up the slope. The mechanical advantage can be calculated by dividing the length of the slope by the height it spans.

5. What are the advantages of using an inclined plane?

The main advantage of using an inclined plane is that it allows for the movement of heavy objects with less force. It also allows for the use of a longer distance to move an object, which can be beneficial in certain situations. Additionally, inclined planes are simple and easy to use, and can be found in many everyday objects and structures.