Finding Initial Separation on an Inclined Plane with a Compressed Spring

In summary, a 3.00 kg block slides a distance of 0.653 m down a frictionless incline while coming into contact with an unstressed spring of negligible mass.
f25274

Homework Statement

A 3.00 kg block starts from rest and slides a distance d down a frictionless 30.0° incline. While sliding, it comes into contact with an unstressed spring of negligible mass. The mass slides an additional 0.219 m as it is brought momentarily to rest by compression of the spring (k = 400 N/m). Find the initial separation d between mass and spring.

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy: mv^2/2-mu^2/2
Potential energy of a spring: kx^2/2
ΔK=-ΔU
Δx=Vt+0.5at^2
V=Vo+at

The Attempt at a Solution

kx^2/2=mv^2/2
400(0.219^2)=3v^2
v=2.529 m/s
a=9.8sin(30°)
2.529=4.9t
t=0.516
x=2.45*0.516^2
x=0.653

The answer is wrong, haha. But that is what I did, help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The block is still moving downslope (and lower in height) as the spring is compressed. So there's some additional energy you need to account for.

I'd use a little different approach for this problem:
in both initial and final state the spring is at the rest, so
1) consider whether there was any work done by force other than gravitational force and spring elastic force
2) depending on with what you come up in (1), use energy conservation law or energy-work theorem

in your solution,
in the x=2.45*0.516^2, what is 2.45?
Otherwise, everything looks good. I would recommend to get symbolic answer first, and only after that to plug-in numbers because of two reasons:
1) it is easier to detect errors. When you see symbols, you know what they mean, when you see numbers - they are just numbers.
2) when you have symbolic answer, you can see that effect can be different depending on numbers and you understand Physics better

The 2.45 was a/2
Acceleration due to gravity was gsin(30)=4.9
I'll try to use symbols in my answer

Would it be kinetic energy(before compressing)+potential energy (spring)= gravitational energy?

I don't think there was work done by an outside force. There is no friction in this problem.

Ok, I see. Calculation would be correct if compession displacement were much smaller then initial height of the block. But 0.653 m and 0.219 m are comparable. So, read post from Gneill.

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, allowing objects to be moved from a lower point to a higher point with less force than it would take to lift the object straight up.

How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane reduces the amount of force needed to move an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. This allows for easier movement of heavy objects, as the force required is spread out over a longer distance.

What are some everyday examples of inclined planes?

Some everyday examples of inclined planes include ramps, stairs, and even playground slides. Other examples include wheelchair ramps, escalators, and roads that go up a hill.

What is the formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane is MA = length of incline/height of incline. This means that the longer the incline and the shorter the height, the greater the mechanical advantage.

What are the benefits of using an inclined plane?

Using an inclined plane can make it easier to move heavy objects, as it reduces the amount of force needed. It also allows for a more gradual increase in height, making it safer for objects or people to be moved up and down. Inclined planes are also simple and inexpensive to build, making them a practical choice for many situations.