Understanding Velocity and Distance on an Inclined Plane with Friction

In summary, Boom-Boom Slapshot slides down an inclined plane at a speed of 5.62m/s², but when he enters the snow, the speed decreases to 23.7m/s.
nesan

Homework Statement

Boom-Boom Slapshot, Canadian hockey star, slides down a 50m long ice covered hill on his skates. The frictionless hill is inclined at 35° to the horizontal. Once he reaches the bottom of the hill, the ice is covered with deep snow that has a coefficient of kinetic friction of .50
How far into the snow will BoomBoom go before coming to rest?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've figured out acceleration on the inclined plane which is 5.62m/s^2. But, I was having trouble with including friction into the other part as well as normal force.

a = sin35 * 9.8 = 5.62m/s^2

Using the formula Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2(a)(d)

I found the velocity which is 23.71m/s

I got an answer of 175m but the textbook says the answer is 57m. The textbook has been wrong few times, I just want to confirm this, thank you. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you use that velocity to get 175m?
When I calculated it, I got 57m.

Browne said:
How did you use that velocity to get 175m?
When I calculated it, I got 57m.

a1 = g*sin35° = 5.62 m/s²

Vmax = √[2*a1*s] = √[2*5.62*50] = 23.7 m/s

a2 = -g[sin35° - µ*cos35°] = -1.607 m/s²

d2 = -Vmax²/(2*a2) = 174.76 m

Did I do something wrong?

Ah, the problem is the interpretation of the question.
I think the problem was intended to mean that he starts traveling horizontally (at the bottom of the hill) when he enters the snow.

Browne said:
Ah, the problem is the interpretation of the question.
I think the problem was intended to mean that he starts traveling horizontally (at the bottom of the hill) when he enters the snow.

Can you expand on that please? I'm really confused after trying 4 times.

Thank you. Just pointing me in the right direction will do. :)

After he reaches Vmax, the incline becomes 0°

I need more help please, I'm kind of lost. =\

nesan said:
I need more help please, I'm kind of lost. =\
What is it that you don't understand regarding what Browne said in his last two posts?

It would be difficult to restate what he said in a manner that's any clearer !

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object from one height to another.

2. How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by increasing the distance an object must travel in order to reach a higher height. This allows the force needed to move the object to be spread out over a longer distance, making it easier to move.

3. What are some real-life examples of inclined planes?

Some common examples of inclined planes in everyday life include ramps, slides, stairs, and wheelchair ramps. Inclined planes are also used in construction, such as in the form of a sloped driveway or road.

4. How can the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane be calculated?

The mechanical advantage of an inclined plane is the ratio of the length of the ramp to its height. This can be calculated by dividing the length of the ramp by the height.

5. What are some benefits of using inclined planes?

Inclined planes make it easier to move objects, as they require less force than lifting an object straight up. They also allow for the movement of heavy objects that may not be possible to lift, and can be used to create a gradual slope for accessibility.