1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclined plane - simulation

1. May 9, 2015 #1
    Hi.

As a teacher I know that many of my students find it difficult to understand the inclined plane and the forces involved. So I decided to create a simulation using geogebra. I uploaded a video to Youtube showing how the simulation works:

The simulation is free to download if you want to try it out. What do think of my simulation, is it helpful? Do let me know! Get the simulation here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3906570/Inclined_plane.ggb [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2015 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If your students find it hard, give them a trolley, a variably inclined plane and a spring. That should sort out the conceptual aspects of it - even if their results aren't perfect.
    I am glad I am not a student these days. I would suspect every simulation because I would be playing computer games in my spare time and we all know they are only as factual as the author chooses to make them. The only 'simulation' you can trust is the Mathematical Model.

4. May 9, 2015 #3
    I agree. Using only "computer games" is not my way of teaching. But sometimes I find that the mix of real experiments combined with computer aided simulations can increase the students understanding.

5. May 9, 2015 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess it could be argued that students need to have the difference between proper simulations and computer games spelled out to them, so your point is a fair one. However, it is essential that they should be doing the Maths themselves and not think that the simulation is the whole story.
    I get the impression that many of the EE students (in particular) who post here have never done a serious calculation or connected up an actual circuit. That sort of virtual world is not a real education.

6. May 10, 2015 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The proof will be whether the students who find the inclined plane difficult to understand find this helpful.

7. May 10, 2015 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And whether it actually results in their being able to apply what they feel they understand when answering exam questions and dealing with real situations.
    But I have to approve of any feel - good factor that any teaching method can produce.

8. May 10, 2015 #7
    We have a test in June. So then I'll have "the proof".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook