How can a simulation improve understanding of the inclined plane for students?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a teacher's creation of a simulation using geogebra to help students understand the inclined plane and the forces involved. The simulation is available for free and the teacher asks for feedback on its helpfulness. The conversation also touches on the importance of real experiments and calculations in education, as well as the upcoming test in June as a way to assess the effectiveness of the simulation.
Christian Turre
Hi.

As a teacher I know that many of my students find it difficult to understand the inclined plane and the forces involved. So I decided to create a simulation using geogebra. I uploaded a video to Youtube showing how the simulation works:

The simulation is free to download if you want to try it out. What do think of my simulation, is it helpful? Do let me know! Get the simulation here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3906570/Inclined_plane.ggb

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If your students find it hard, give them a trolley, a variably inclined plane and a spring. That should sort out the conceptual aspects of it - even if their results aren't perfect.
I am glad I am not a student these days. I would suspect every simulation because I would be playing computer games in my spare time and we all know they are only as factual as the author chooses to make them. The only 'simulation' you can trust is the Mathematical Model.

sophiecentaur said:
If your students find it hard, give them a trolley, a variably inclined plane and a spring. That should sort out the conceptual aspects of it - even if their results aren't perfect.
I am glad I am not a student these days. I would suspect every simulation because I would be playing computer games in my spare time and we all know they are only as factual as the author chooses to make them. The only 'simulation' you can trust is the Mathematical Model.
I agree. Using only "computer games" is not my way of teaching. But sometimes I find that the mix of real experiments combined with computer aided simulations can increase the students understanding.

Christian Turre said:
I agree. Using only "computer games" is not my way of teaching. But sometimes I find that the mix of real experiments combined with computer aided simulations can increase the students understanding.
I guess it could be argued that students need to have the difference between proper simulations and computer games spelled out to them, so your point is a fair one. However, it is essential that they should be doing the Maths themselves and not think that the simulation is the whole story.
I get the impression that many of the EE students (in particular) who post here have never done a serious calculation or connected up an actual circuit. That sort of virtual world is not a real education.

Christian Turre said:
Hi.

As a teacher I know that many of my students find it difficult to understand the inclined plane and the forces involved. So I decided to create a simulation using geogebra. I uploaded a video to Youtube showing how the simulation works:

The simulation is free to download if you want to try it out. What do think of my simulation, is it helpful? Do let me know!

The proof will be whether the students who find the inclined plane difficult to understand find this helpful.

PeroK said:
The proof will be whether the students who find the inclined plane difficult to understand find this helpful.
And whether it actually results in their being able to apply what they feel they understand when answering exam questions and dealing with real situations.
But I have to approve of any feel - good factor that any teaching method can produce.

PeroK said:
We have a test in June. So then I'll have "the proof".

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, allowing objects to move up or down it with less force than if they were moved straight up or down.

2. How does the simulation of an inclined plane work?

The simulation of an inclined plane uses mathematical equations to calculate the motion of an object on the plane. It takes into account the angle of the plane, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity to accurately display the motion.

3. What can I learn from using a simulation of an inclined plane?

Using a simulation of an inclined plane can help you understand the principles of simple machines and how they make work easier. It can also help you visualize and predict the motion of objects on an inclined plane.

4. Can the simulation of an inclined plane be used for real-life applications?

Yes, the simulation of an inclined plane can be used to model and analyze real-life situations such as ramps, hills, and other inclined surfaces. It can also be used to design and optimize machines that use inclined planes.

5. Is there any software or tools available for simulating an inclined plane?

Yes, there are many software programs and online tools available for simulating an inclined plane. Some are free and others require a subscription or purchase. Some examples include PhET Interactive Simulations, Algodoo, and SimScale.