Inclined Plane with Friction

• Thread starter yankeekd25
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A block of mass m = 39 kg is slid over a horizontal frictionless surface at some constant velocity. It then encounters a inclined plane which has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.39. The inclination angle for the incline is x = 34.6 degrees and the height of the incline is h = 23.8 meters above its base. If the magnitude of the velocity at the top of incline is 34 m/s for the block, what was the magnitude of its velocity at the bottom of the incline in m/s?

/scratches head

For this one, I really have no idea how to begin. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Answers and Replies

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You can reduce this formula to the type of question where mass m and force F are given, and they ask you to calculate a change in velocity (how would you do that in general, forgetting about where the F comes from?).

While the block slides up the ramp, two forces act on it (which ones?). Then what is the F that I mentioned in the first paragraph (hint: decompose in components along and perpendicular to the plane).

You can reduce this formula to the type of question where mass m and force F are given, and they ask you to calculate a change in velocity (how would you do that in general, forgetting about where the F comes from?).

While the block slides up the ramp, two forces act on it (which ones?). Then what is the F that I mentioned in the first paragraph (hint: decompose in components along and perpendicular to the plane).

To find a change in velocity- Vf2 = Vi2 -2g delta y, or Vf = Vi - gt?

When the block slides up, a normal force and a weight force are being acted upon it right?