1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclined plane with pulley

1. Apr 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 10 kg mass is on a frictionless inclined plane 30 degrees to the horizontal. At the top of the plane is a pulley that has a rope attached to mass with tension T = 75 N. If the mass starts from rest, what is its velocity after 2 seconds?

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma
    Vf=Vi + at

3. The attempt at a solution
    So my book lists the formula as T = mgsinθ + ma. I set the problem up pretty much the same as:
    ∑Fx = max
    75 N - 10 N = (10 kg) a
    My acceleration is 6.5 m/s2. Plugging this value in to vf=vi + at, I get 13.0 m/s but my book says it's supposed to be 5 m/s. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where did you get that 10 N from?

4. Apr 4, 2015 #3
    The x component of the weight: -mgsinθ

5. Apr 4, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

m=10 kg, g=10 m/s2, θ=30° . How would it give 10 N ?????

6. Apr 5, 2015 #5
    I see. Well, I redid this problem and I did a force table. My T is 75 N, my x component of the force is -50 N. If I set up the problem I get:
    T - mgsinθ = ma
    75-50 = 10 a
    a = 2.5 m/s^2

The answer is 5 m/s^2.

7. Apr 5, 2015 #6
    I totally misread this problem and it serves me right for not paying close attention. This is a two part problem. I solved for the acceleration using F=ma, which is 2.5 m/s^2. Then with the known time (2 s), I plugged it in to the equation Vf=Vi + at. Vf = 5 m/s.

8. Apr 5, 2015 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well done at the end!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted