1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclined Plane

1. Aug 20, 2006 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hey. Ive been given this problem:

"An person wishes to push a box up a hill, inclined at 30 degrees. He is able to push with a force of 450N. If the box has a mass of 20kg, and a force of friction with magnitude 20N applies, what is the acceleration of the box?"

I drew a diagram, and came up with this:
    [​IMG]

What i did was resolve all of the forces into their components (parallel and perpendicular to the slope), including the weight and normal force, and then add them all.

I got an answer of 16.6 [tex]ms^-2[/tex], but apparently the answer is 1.9 [tex]ms^-2[/tex]. Would someone be able to maybe quickly work it out, and tell me what the real answer is?

Thanks very much,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2006 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

(450-20-20*9.81*sin(30))/20 = 16.595, so you should be correct. The box should have an acceleration plenty over 1.9 m/s2 even if the hill was vertical.

4. Aug 20, 2006 #3

danago

Gold Member

ok thanks for confirming that :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?